MGS / Oakwood Park

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Peter

Post by Peter »

Kentmum,

I'll try again! For nearly all Kent grammar schools (including MGS & Oakwood) there is a simple pass mark which is the same for everyone (120, 120, 115). Once your child has reached the standard, he is eligible for the school. If there are too many successful applicants, priority is decided by the oversubscription criteria, typically mainly distance in a straight line (obviously no problem for you).

Hope this is helpful.
Peter

Post by Peter »

You may not find the following encouraging, but it may be helpful.

MGS is currently heavily oversubscribed. Oakwood Park is full.

Some rural parents are being advised to apply to Grammar schools in Ashford and Gravesend.

Post by Guest »

Peter, thank you for the info.

This is of course quite concerning for those of us in the Maidstone area considering an appeal as it suggests that there aren't any spare places available anyway! Are you able to say where this information has come from, eg, is it being stated openly by KCC?

This maybe wishful thinking but I thought I had read somewhere that the GS's do hold back a small number of places to be used for successful appeals. Anyone know if this is correct?

Thanks
Peter

Post by Peter »

Yes, this is information supplied by KCC (although not to me!).

Schools are not allowed to hold back places for appeals.

However, you should not be discouraged from appealing if you have a good case, as there is often considerable movement in mid and West Kent, and places do become available.

For example, there are a number of West Kent girls who have been offered places in Maidstone Grammars who will relinquish these as places free up in West Kent schools.
Kent Mum

Post by Kent Mum »

Thanks for the info everyone! There seem to be alot of Kent parents not getting their 1st choice grammar.
My son's ecstatic- as he'd absolutely set his heart on MGS and found yesterday that he's got a place there. I was worried about distance, though, as we're near West Malling and there's Maidstone itself, Allington, Aylesford, Barming, Ditton, East Malling, Larkfield, etc, all closer than us. Plus Oakwood is geographically nearer to us than MGS.
I'd heard elsewhere that MGS is heavily oversubscribed this year- so am thrilled to bits that he's got in!
sdd

Highworth Grammar Ashfod

Post by sdd »

my daughter scored 140VR, 133NV and 110 unfortunately maths.
I have been advised to appeal by the school who will support with other evidence. I am hoping to get her into Highworth ashford.
Can any one advise if this is oversubscibed. I know it has not been in the past but I have no idea how the changed with 1st choice rules changed numbers this year. :(
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now