Kent Test - Maths Paper - Topics not covered in school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

twilight

Kent Test - Maths Paper - Topics not covered in school

Post by twilight »

Hi

Just wondering can anyone offer any advice as to what Maths topics appear in the Kent test which haven't been covered in school?

So far we have come across Algebra and Volume calculations - Any others that people are aware of?

Thanks in advance.
sherry_d

Re: Kent Test - Maths Paper - Topics not covered in school

Post by sherry_d »

Really didfficult to say as schools approach it differently. I just do some practice with her and then work on the areas she hasnt covered in school or where she needs help. Regarding algebra there is very little of it in Kent test nomally a question or two so I wouldnt go overboard with it but just a grasp of the basics.
Last edited by sherry_d on Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Impossible is Nothing.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

I agree. Although algebra seems to come up in the NFER/GL Assessment papers, it hasn't come up much during the last few years in the Kent Test although it would be prudent to cover it a little so at least your child could eliminate a couple of answers quickly and guess out of the rest!

Just be going through the GL Assessment/NFER papers you will get a grasp of the standard of math required in the 11+.

Good luck.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I seem to remember their being a few stray topics - but quite how much they really matter, I don't know. If not going to a superselective, you only need to get approx 50% of the answer correct, so probably not worth sweating over.

Silly little things I remember were some questions in the NFER practice papers on converting from inches to cm. Also more algebra than in KS2. Nets of cubes. Ask the kids afterwards whether these sorts of questions were in the real exam or not and you get some conflicting answers.

Only way to do it is to compare all the question types in NFER sample papers (packs available from this website) with the KS2 maths syllabus - you'll find that online if you dig around.

Word on the ground on this website seems to be that now they have brought the 11+ test forward in Kent the maths paper contains more problem solving and less syllabus coverage ------- so hopefully it is more a measure now of native maths ability than tutoring. But, it all depends what people mean by problem solving - if it means more lengthy wordy questions for children to interpret under exam conditions then this favours some children and not others.