Help needed

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

frustrated

Re: Help needed

Post by frustrated »

Just to clarify - are the CATS that are done towards the end of year 5 similar to questions in the Kent Test?

I am really interested in what you all have to say in terms of preparing children for the test. With my older son, I used the CAT scores as a guide in deciding whether or not to enter him for the test, and he did manage to pass without any tutoring or preparation, (very foolish of me not to prepare him, as his teacher said, apparantly I had put him at a disadvantage, but I didn't know how and wasn't aware of this site at the time!) I will say, that if I had been aware of any practice papers or anything then I would have let him have a go to familiarise himself, but I am naive, and thought that these papers only exist for the SATS!!!!!! :D

My other son is due to sit the Kent Test next year (jumping the gun a bit, I know!). He is not sure yet whether or not he wants to sit it, but has said that if he could have a look at some practice papers to see what kinds of questions he might face, then it would help him make his mind up. So, are the CATS tests similar to the Kent Test?
mystery

Post by mystery »

No I don't think so, and I don't think that the CAT scores give that good a prediction of 11+ success or failure for any one individual child unless they are fantastic or terrible.

Your son needs to look at the NFER question types if he wants to see what sort of questions could crop up in the test - look at what is on sale in the shop on this website.
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

Thankyou.

Now I know where to look, I shall give it a go!

I shall have a look at the NFER questions with my younger son and see what he makes of them.