How long before we know the results does the school know?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ausvic

Re: How long before we know the results does the school know

Post by ausvic »

SSM wrote:I don't know much about Medway but from what I understand if they do a HT review they then can't appeal unless they supply new evidence. I may have that totally wrong.
As I understand it, you go to review first (not HT review but council review), if that is unsuccesful then you can have an appeal which is not an appeal about the result of the review but that the review was carried out properly. The HTs support parents but I don't think actually have a say in outcome this is down to the appeals panels for each school. Medway's system is completely different to Kent.

I won't be offended if someone corrects me but this is how I understood it last year. :)
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

I have a feeling SSM is right, I am sure Tiredmum or Medwaymum will come along and correct. Its just the waiting but I suppose we are much better than regions who know on the 1st of March :shock:
Impossible is Nothing.
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

sherry_d wrote:
blessedmum wrote:Should be working from home that week and looking out for the post man.
I think thats worse though Blessedmum. Maybe we could swap roles for the next few weeks. :lol: I feel like I just need to run away from all this and come back when all is done. The thought of sitting refereshing to see if results are through is sickening me right now. I have told myself to stay away from the computer on that day but we shall see. :roll:
I will rather be in the country and be able to either celebrate or support her as needed. Being away will kill me. My dh will probably just take it with a pinch of salt and may say the wrong thing "like you should have worked harder" am not sure so I will rather be here myself. I know I wil be twindling my fingers on the day but hey we have to know. What time can we log on to check the Kent results? For Bexley we have to get it from the school as they were all registered together. Thankfully most if not all the mum's in my dd's class are very lovely, down to earth and supportive of one another.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

westkent wrote:Last year a friend's daughter missed the Maths pass mark by 1 point but had passed the other papers quite well.

When the result came she had failed the 11+ as the HT had not appealled as she didn't consider that she was "suitable for Grammar school education". Parents of course were still able to appeal later after school allocation but would have preferred to avoid it obviously.

HT may well have been right in her opinion but I know I would have been furious that it wasn't even discussed with us at that stage.

However, it is the system and with all its faults it is what they have to work with.
This struck a chord with me. A boy scoring same points as DS was not the subject of HT appeal because she considered he wasn't suitable and yet DS was. Of course the split may have been different but they were both 3 points under....... Oh to have the power to decide, eh?!
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
SoGladitsover

Post by SoGladitsover »

T12ACY wrote: This struck a chord with me. A boy scoring same points as DS was not the subject of HT appeal because she considered he wasn't suitable and yet DS was. Of course the split may have been different but they were both 3 points under....... Oh to have the power to decide, eh?!
From what I've heard the HT's can only submit upto a set number of appeals as specified by those who dictate.

I'm glad I am not the only one feeling sick about all this. I feel so helpless, I am driving myself crazy.
:roll:
reddebs

Post by reddebs »

not sure you are right with a set number as I was a chair of governors of a Kent school for a number of years and was never aware that there was a limit, always the headteachers view on grammar suitability
red_debs
amychaos

Post by amychaos »

DC was asked for books today, they gather them all up "to be used for an appeal". Thankfully, they gathered everyone's books so as not to worry people. :shock: Anyone else had this happen??????
lurker

Post by lurker »

Yes, this happened today in my dc's class.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

ausvic wrote:
SSM wrote:I don't know much about Medway but from what I understand if they do a HT review they then can't appeal unless they supply new evidence. I may have that totally wrong.
As I understand it, you go to review first (not HT review but council review), if that is unsuccesful then you can have an appeal which is not an appeal about the result of the review but that the review was carried out properly. The HTs support parents but I don't think actually have a say in outcome this is down to the appeals panels for each school. Medway's system is completely different to Kent.

I won't be offended if someone corrects me but this is how I understood it last year. :)
The thing is with the Medway review system is it sounds like it should be fine but causes no end of problems.

If your child fails and they were expected to pass you go and see your head for advice and to get your childs work but thats it, you do the rest. There is a short form to fill in - i have heard the panel dont even take it in to consideration, they just look at the standard of work and your child is deemed selective if the work is seen as being of a high enough standard. Any mitigating circumstance are not taken into consideration. I know a few dc's to get through the review and others who passed kent test with flying colours to fail the review.

Many are critical of this system as they do not feel the same standerds are applyed accross all the school work - there are several panels that look at the work.

If your review is unsucessful then you can appeal against the review process in general but cannot do an accademic appeal for your child. You need to prove the review process was unfair! This seems ridiculous. For example a friend of mine appealed against the review process to chatham girls last year and they agreed the process was unfair! But on here there is aposter who appealed to another grammar but the same review process was said to be fair so her child did not get a place. Its very confusing. I am not sure if the panel can look at the childs work/mitigating circumstance if the review is seen as unfair?

Because of the problems and confusion, many parent are not sure if they should go to review - which if successful is a short process (unlike this post! :lol: ) or appeal on accademic grounds - which can be drawn out.
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Yes! My dc said that all dc's who took the kent test had their books taken away today and were told that the ht would have their results by Friday. This has left our dc very troubled as he was not aware of the results 'timetable'. On the final day of testing we said 'fantastic-you've done it' ,he was happy and went off to play with his friends. We were vague about dates as we anticipated that he would worry so we were planning to let him know when we would get the result the weekend before and explain that it would be received by email. Now it has all gone a bit wrong and I'm kicking myself. :x :x