child crying during 11 plus today

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
lurker

Re: child crying during 11 plus today

Post by lurker »

Thanks, I need to find out exactly what happened really. I know that he didn't mark any answers or turn the page, but he didn't do the practice questions. He was sat right under her nose, so I suppose that she was closely watching him. she didn't walk around the room at all, so I am finding this hard not to take personally.

I don't understand how this has all blown up- all I asked was that a note be made of the noise, what happened when dc was spoken to about the practice questions and it seems to have just exploded.
I hate all the animosity, I thought that we were very non-confrontational, just don't see why she didn't want the disturbance noted. It doesn't reflect badly on her/school/ other child.

She did say that dc was using a 'known tactic' whatever that means.
committed

Post by committed »

That was certainly my understanding too SSM, and as SSM says, if you have the opportunity to view a couple of the real questions then you can take advantage of that fact without marking the answers in. However I have always been under the impression that you're absolutely not allowed to move away from the page when you're doing the practice questions. I could be wrong though...
committed

Post by committed »

Posts crossed...

I think your DS was just unlucky to get caught out using the 'known tactic' of taking advantage of looking at the real questions if they're on the same page as the practice ones. It's unfortunate and I don't think you're obliged to answer the practice questions, but I guess if you don't answer them at all and you're right under the HT's nose then she might have felt obliged to say something.
SSM

Post by SSM »

I know it's probably a very difficult thing to do, but do you think you could maybe go in to see the HT.'Apologise' if you came across as confrontational and put it down to the stress of your child taking the 11+ and the fact that the GS is really the school that your DS wants to attend, even though you yourself are not too sure about the whole GS selection. You don't have to mean it, but at the end of the day if you need to go to appeal it would help having her on side.

You can also say that your DS misunderstood when you advised him to not waste any time in the exam and maybe he took it as meaning not having to do the practice questions.

I know it's like giving in to the HT but in the long run you would be the one that gains.

Good luck.
lurker

Post by lurker »

I did think of that- it seems sensible. However something else happened today (I would describe it , but it would probably identify people involved as well as my ds).

anyway, to me, it now seems clear that this is quite personal now. I wish I could say what happened, it is just so wrong.

I have had to tell her that I am too upset to see her at the moment- cannot believe how vindictive she has been.
SSM

Post by SSM »

So sorry to hear that.

Is it serious enough or do you have enough evidence on your side to write to the Governors?
lurker

Post by lurker »

yes to both! I have now involved the governors. Thanks so much to you all for listening to my whinging.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

lurker if you need advice, or just to let off steam you are in the right place! Sorry to hear things have not settled down, kind of suspected they might not :?
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
dani*

Post by dani* »

In DD's group a child was feeling unwell during the test and left during the VR paper. The parents were called to collect their child. So sad all this hard work and then not complete the papers. I hope arrangements will be made to have another go at it.
VI DD

Post by VI DD »

dani* wrote:In DD's group a child was feeling unwell during the test and left during the VR paper. The parents were called to collect their child. So sad all this hard work and then not complete the papers. I hope arrangements will be made to have another go at it.
No, that is it apparently, according to the parents
Last edited by VI DD on Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now