English as a second language.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
anowicka

English as a second language.

Post by anowicka »

Please any ideas how to improve my DD vocabulary. Unfortunately English is our second language and my DD really struggles with them.

Will AE Tuition workbooks help ? Or VR Bonds assessments books would be better?

I’d be grateful if someone can give us any clues on this please.

Thanks a lot.
A
twellsmum

Re: English as a second language.

Post by twellsmum »

How old is your DD and when does she take the test?

The best thing you can do at any age is encourage reading - independent reading, you reading to them and even books on CD. My children read with post it note arrows by teh side of their beds. When they come across an unfamiliar word they flag it up and ask me about it in the morning. We look it up together, sometimes look for other alternatives to the same word too, and then try to use it in conversation for a few days to get it in to their heads.

There are "How to do Verbal Reasoning books" too - look on Amazon. They will give you tactics for most of the common types of question.
anowicka

Post by anowicka »

Hi

She is just 9 years (August born) so she will sits the exam 2012, just after her 10 birthday.

I am also thinking about the book 'the first aid in English' , not sure if this will be another solution to increase her words.

thank you.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

If you are in Kent then she will sit her 11+ exams next year September 2011. I am thinking it was a typo on 2012???
Last edited by sherry_d on Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Impossible is Nothing.
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

Is she in Year 5? If she is, she will be sitting it next year (2011). Not heard of First Aid in English - sorry!
anowicka

Post by anowicka »

Sorry, yes, you are right, thiswill be 2011, she is in year5 :)
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

could she keep her own word book?

write down words which she doesn't know and look for their meanings, which she can also write in the book.

depending on how good her English is she could also make it into a personal dictionary using her first language and English.

we had a pupil who joined us in year 4 speaking hardly any English and passed the Kent test with flying colours.

play lots of word games like Scrabble allowing the use of a dictionary , it's amazing what words you discover that way.

crosswords are good too , looking up answers to the clues introduces lots of good vocabulary.

Have a " word of the day" which you all have to try and use as much as possible. Each member in the family could take turns in deciding which word to use, so lots of dictionary work to find something really obscure to score points over her parents.
muffinmonster

Post by muffinmonster »

I think reading is the best way to develop vocabulary, provided your DD is happy to take the time to look up words that she doesn't understand. She's young enough that you could read with her and encourage this.

Having said that, I'm using First Aid in English with my son, who is 10 and in Year 6 (will be sitting 11+ in Dec/Jan). There are lots of exercises on plurals, tenses, maculine/feminine, etc. that are helpful. I get him to do just one short exercise at a time as bite-size practice and his tutor feels that it's very useful. (The book doesn't give the answers, but I believe that there is an answer book available.)
anowicka

Post by anowicka »

Great, thank you so much, much appreciated.

Yes, we just started to keep her own Dictionary/book with new vocabulary.

I think I will aslo buy a Scrabble game. She likes playing games :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now