Kent test - best materials for Maths, VR & NVR

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Villagedad

Re: Kent test - best materials for Maths, VR & NVR

Post by Villagedad »

If anyone has any other tips on the best materials for the Kent test please post as seems we are having a quiet patch here on the forum.

Merry Christmas all :D

Villagedad
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

I may have said this before but its worth another mention. iI found Bond 10 minutes invaluable to keep things ticking over. I used to find that if I din't do much for a couple of weeks (too much homework etc) then DD would slip back a bit. Then I found these books and as they take only 10 minutes it was easier to fit them in.

The other thing I noticed was that I was getting DD to write out answers on a piece of paper rather than the books themselves (I have 3DC so needed to save the books). When we started doing the test papers I photocopied the answer sheets and used them. I think because DD was writing out the answers but working at a pace to be able to finish the paper in time, she naturally speeded up (though I must point out that at first the timing was not great but improved over time). So, this may be something you could try with your DC.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

For times-tables, I used an ELC tape in the car. It was a 2-cd tape. The first listed the tables by rote. The second did the same, but left a blank space for you to say the answer , and then would give the answer. I put the second CD on random, so the questions would all be muddled, and we would play it on short journeys in the car. Its a simple way to do 5 minutes tables practise. (NB. Brought the tape a few years ago - not sure whether they do the same one now but I'm sure there are equivalents in ELC or elsewhere).

(PS. Where is everyone in Kent, we used to be such an active forum?!)
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

pheasantchick wrote:(PS. Where is everyone in Kent, we used to be such an active forum?!)
Snowed in? Too much turkey and now too big to move? Sales? Watching the cricket?
layla22

Post by layla22 »

I was on the forum even on Christmas day and my children thought it was rather sad. As everything was rather quiet ( I was the only one logged on/browsing) I thought I would keep a low profile.
Timestable- when my son's class was working through the different tables, as they have yet again even in Yr 5, I would do 20 random questions for him of mixed tables in a little book and using the stopwatch on my mobile phone time him. It would them become a challenge for him to try and do it faster each time.It worked so well for him that by Yr 4 he had stopped doing the timestable each week and had been moved on to something more challenging like long Xplication/ division.
I would also do a quick revision each morning whilst waiting in traffic.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes we used to be such an active forum - but that was when Villagedad gave us something controversial to debate. Peacetime is getting dull again. :wink:
inspired2win

Post by inspired2win »

Materials for Kent 11+?

We used many papers that you can buy on this site. Some of these include:

Scotfield amd Sims for maths with bonds.
Walsh, Tutors, Susan Daughtery, Nfer for verbal reasoning.
Non verbal reasoning, bonds and Nfer.

Hope this helps.
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

Hi all
I thought I'd summarise the materials that most people were suggesting below:

Maths: Bond assessment papers & 10 min tests, Schofield & Sims mental arithmetic, NFER, times-table CD. Games: DS Brain Training, Woodlands Junior website:
http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VR: IPS VR method and techniques (ignore types H,I,K,N,O,S), Susan Daughtrey bright sparks, Walsh, Tutors, NFER, new Letts papers. Games: scrabble, boggle, upwords, DS Professor Layton.

NVR: AE tuition books, Bond assessment papers & 10 min tests, NFER, Bond How to do NVR useful. Games: Tetris, spot the difference, online mahjong, and jigsaws.

If anyone has any strong opinions to the most effective 1 or 2 pieces of the above materials (per subject) to help us parents narrow it down please let us know, as we don't want to bombared our DC's or confuse ourselves with too much material.

E.g. if someone opted for Bond papers in maths and NVR, then used the IPS VR M&T books would that be enough along with NFER practice papers?

Many thanks
Villagedad
MadMum.com

Post by MadMum.com »

I'm very new to all of this :?

But I have invested so far in The letts collection, a few nfer nelson and I have a GL assessment on the way. I heard these were the books most suited for Medway & Kent. Does anyone know if this is correct?

I have a list of 40 books and materials that I am currently in the middle of buying! Would be good to know which are the best to go with! :o
pp1

Post by pp1 »

(ignore types H,I,K,N,O,S)

Could someone be kind enough to explain what this means please?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now