School choices

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Kent99

Re: School choices

Post by Kent99 »

Hi Sherry

I seem your problem. I live south of Maidstone and Cornwallis is our nearest school but prior to the recent change in their admissions criteria children from my daughter's primary were sometimes allocated to Oldborough Manor (as was). The only measure of comfort I can offer is that, as far as I know, none of them ever ended up there. We did, however, benefit from a headteacher who put a lot of time and effort into appeals and trying to get the right school for each child (whether they were aiming for a grammar or not). I guess that is easier if you are a small school with only a couple of children a year who need that help.

Like you, I also looked into private options for my daughter for next year and did so for my elder daughter a few years ago. I'm not sure where you have looked but I have looked at a couple of "local" girls' schools which, given that your daughter passed the maths and VR papers, should present no difficulties exam wise. These schools get results better than the grammars despite having a less able cohort. In fact we haven't ruled them out for our second child even though she did pass the 11+. If you want to talk about this I'm happy to send you a PM (assuming I can work out how..)
scarlett

Re: School choices

Post by scarlett »

Sherry, You mention that you are a practising christian .Have you considered Bennett Memorial ? I know it is in Tunbridge wells, but we were considering it for ds1 and will probably be our choice for ds2. the bus journey is actually shorter than the journey into Maidstone ( it goes round the houses ) ....we are in the Malling area and I know of 2 friends who live in the Maidstone area who go there.Their journey is no longer than an hour and for the children it is a social thing.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now