Wilmington girls or Dartford girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
suzieflooz

Wilmington girls or Dartford girls

Post by suzieflooz »

My DD passed but not by huge margin , her scores were fairly evenly spread between VR and NVR and her lowest being maths her weakest subject. We are in fortunate position of living in one of the parishes that does not require a high score to gain admission to DGGS and are also in catchment for Wilmington. I really liked Dartford and am looking at Wilmington tonight but my main worry is how will my DD cope at DGGS if she decides that is her first choice? ( she loved it) I have heard its very tough going. She didn't have any tutoring but did bond ten min tests and a few nfer papers with me spread over the preceeding year, but certainly isn't a high flier academically. Opinions much appreciated.
bexley mum

Re: Wilmington girls or Dartford girls

Post by bexley mum »

Hello

We live in the Dartford borough. My daughter (now in year 9) attends DGGS. She passed the 11+ not a high flyer but a pass. She has certainly held her own, hasnt struggled with any of the work and is in the middle streams for most subjects. Maths was her weaker subject but again it hasnt caused her any issues. She is happy there.

I spoke to the admissions department re my concerns about the pass mark - they assured me that as she wasnt tutored she will be fine, and she is.

I have a friend whos daughter attends Wilmington Grammar and she is also very happy there. I think the decision lays with what feels right for your daughter

Happy choosing.
suzieflooz

Post by suzieflooz »

Thanks very much Bexley mum , thats good to know , DD will ultimately choose but was a tad worried re dggs and expectations of super bright girls all around her . My dd has been swayed so far by the swimming pool !!! :D
bexley mum

Post by bexley mum »

My other daughter started there in Sept (They are given a homework timetable), on average an hour a night. It certainly doesnt take either of my girls this long. The typical year 7 homework, so far, cover a book, design a poster, who is your local MP? and so on.

Good luck
MJMoore

Post by MJMoore »

Hi,

I'm another who has a daughter in year 7 at Dartford. She's certainly not a high flier, but she's doing fine, and seems very happy.

Maths was her worse subject in the 11+, but she picked up loads during year 6, and got a 5 in her SATS. So far, it's actually her best subject at Grammar!

Good luck with your choice. :)