Daughter did not pass. What happens if I put Grammar 1st?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
frustrated

Re: Daughter did not pass. What happens if I put Grammar 1st

Post by frustrated »

Last year, when I had an over-subscription appeal, I contacted admissions team to ask about other schools that I may be able to apply to. I was given a list of schools which still had spaces and also a suggestion of another school to contact if I wished. I asked if I could make an appeal for other schools too, and was told that I could only appeal for schools on my SCAF.

I was advised to contact the schools directly to apply for a place, and then ask to go onto the waiting list/s of said schools if I were to be turned down. This was easier said than done however, as when I spoke to one of the schools, I was curtly told by the receptionist that 'some very local children haven't even got a place here, and they wanted to come here. You didn't put this school on your form, so why do you want a place now?' When I asked how I could apply, the (not) very nice receptionist told me to call back another time because there is no-one available to deal with my query, adding that as I didn't apply in the first place, I probably wouldn't get a place now anyway. When I asked for a contact name of this mystery person, the receptionist said she didn't know and that I would have to take my chances when I call back as to whether or not someone will be available. At this point I gave up on her rudeness, politely told her that she had not been very helpful, 'but thankyou anyway' and hung up.

Back onto the phone to the admissions team to double check the procedure, and was told again to apply, wait to be turned down, then ask to go onto the waiting list/s. At no time did anyone tell me that I could appeal for schools not on my SCAF, but that I could however appeal for a school that was on my SCAF, which I did and thankfully gained success.

I thought at the time that the advice given was accurate, having come from the appropriate department at KCC, but obviously it wasn't correct. :|
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

I expect that KCC schools admissions staff are using the coordinated scheme for secondary schools document which appears on their website at https://shareweb.kent.gov.uk/Documents/ ... e_2011.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .

I can't see any mention in the document of appeals to schools not on the CAF. There is also no direct reference to being able to apply to be added to the waiting list of such schools, although there is a reference to "late applications" being made in accordance with stuff in the Admission to Secondary School booklet.

Taken in conjunction with the admission guide, it seems clear that you can apply for a vacant place at, or to go on the waiting list of, a school not on your CAF. However it is not so clear whether such an application can be made to a grammar school if the child has not passed the 11+ (and can therefore neither be given a place nor put on the waiting list). It also doesn't follow that there is necessarily a right of appeal in such a case. There MAY be, but it is not clear from these publications. Does anyone know of any such appeals having actually taken place under similar rules?
mystery

Post by mystery »

You can double check with Etienne, but you can apply, be turned down, for and appeal for any school in the country even a grammar school if you failed the 11+. The school should apply its own admission test if you are outside of time the normal admission test cycle for that school.

Of course you are always up against the fact that the popular schools will be full and will be wanting to present a strong case that they are already over capacity. This is why the school secretaries may in general be unhelpful in this instance, and why appeal panels are made up of independent members. But the LEAs should give clear info about applying and appealing outside the normal admission cycle, which is effectively what you are doing if you haven't put the school on your CAF.