Grammar school allocation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Kj21

Grammar school allocation

Post by Kj21 »

Can anyone help...as far that I know the school allocation is done on the test scores. Does anyone know if they do give raw score the same importance when it comes to OOC. If I based myself on raw score ds didn't do that well.however due to his age I guess (June born) he got very good test score.how does this affect the school allocation.
pheasantchick

Re: Grammar school allocation

Post by pheasantchick »

As far as I know, its done on the standardised test score (ie. out of 420). Actual allocations are done according to the individual school admission policies.
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

I don't know if the secondary schools even get the raw scores, do they? AFAIK it is all done on standardised scores. If it was on raw scores then that would obviate the need for standardised scores.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I don;t know but why go to the trouble of standardising the scores if they are not going to use them in that format?
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

I'm with you, i've only ever heard of schools using standardised scores.
Kj21

Post by Kj21 »

I agree.

What is the point of standardising the score if they later look at raw score to allocate places.
There will be number of children with the same standardised score but with different raw score. It might not sound fair but once all the children has been standardised, they should be on equal ground and not treated differently based on raw scores :o
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

Kj21 wrote:I agree.

What is the point of standardising the score if they later look at raw score to allocate places.
There will be number of children with the same standardised score but with different raw score. It might not sound fair but once all the children has been standardised, they should be on equal ground and not treated differently based on raw scores :o
Have difficulty in understanding what this thread is about. Only standardised scores are used in Kent, and they are only really of significance for the few schools that allocate on score rather than distance. Surprised at the comment suggesting DS has a good test (standardised?) score and poor raw score. As far as I am aware, the standardising is only worth a few marks. You are not trying to convert a standardised score out of 140 to a percentage are you?
mystery

Post by mystery »

You need to read the school admission policy carefully to see exactly how places are allocated based on score. Some superselectives select by score, but let's say there are 180 places, and several children tie 180th with the same standardised score, then distance is used. Read the policy carefully. It wouldn't make mathematical sense to do a mish-mash of raw score and standardised score, because this would then disadvantage the younger ones if you reverted to raw score for the "tie-breaker".
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now