TGS from Orpington

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

wishful

TGS from Orpington

Post by wishful »

Hi everyone

Thought I would put the crux of my subject in the title to save anyone the time of looking at the post if it's of no interest to them :)

I have put TGS on my CAF and am now worrying about it. I did do my homework first and was reassured that the journey from Orpington to TGS is no problem, ie 20 mins on the train from Orpington followed by a 10 minute walk.

I am now worried I have done the right thing, thoughts are going around in my head such as will my DD be happy doing this journey in all weathers, what about friends, will there be anyone else in her year travelling from Orpington?

Of course, there's no guarantee of a place, so it may be immaterial anyway, but I just wondered if anyone out there has DDs doing this journey already, or is there anyone else from Orpington who is also hoping for TGS place next year?

Many thanks
bromley mum

Re: TGS from Orpington

Post by bromley mum »

I have a friend who goes to TGS from Orpington. She absolutely loves it and has coped very well. I did the trip with another friend to see what it ws like. There were quite a few girls there so your DD won't be alone. The school is lovely, by the way.
wishful

Post by wishful »

Oh thanks for that, Bromley Mum. We looked at the school last year and really liked it, preferred it to Newstead Wood. Although I think DD was influenced by the animals :D I think my main worry is the social side of things, like meeting up with friends outside school hours or clubs etc. However I have been told that some of the clubs take place during the lunch break. I can just imagine DD saying something like 'could you just drop me off at my friends in Tonbridge?' on a weekend !
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

wishful - don't worry you can guarantee that even if you live next door to the school (and the neighbours are in their form) their friends will be miles away!....
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I had similar concerns about choosing schools- ie. longer journey to school etc. However, since submitting the form, I've met two or three people who know children who will be same journey (different to yours). I'm sure you will in time.
monstermum

Post by monstermum »

I was also worried about my son's journey but thanks to someone on here have found a bus which goes from the top of our road to the school gates. I think because of the selective nature grammar schools take from such a wide catchment area there are usually solutions and lots of children travel from far and wide. Also as someone else mentioned the children won't be tiny 11 year old Year 7s for long and will soon be travelling all over on their own!!
wishful

Post by wishful »

You're probably right, Herman, I could just as likely be asked to drop her off in Hastings :lol:

Thanks Pheasantchick, I'm glad you have met some others doing the same journey as your DC.

Monstermum, that's so true, time will fly and all too soon they will be off to Uni (hopefully) and all this will be a distant memory :?
doodles

Post by doodles »

Hi Wishful, glad you got some helpful answers. Just to put your mind at rest. DS is at Skinners and we live near Sevenoaks - I think your Orp to Ton would be a pretty similar distance. His classmates come from all over and it's not proving to be a problem at all - don't worry they get used to sorting themselves out pretty quickly. OK, so we've done a few runs into TW for discos etc but I think I would be doing that even if we lived 10 miles nearer and they get to know who lives nearer and we have managed to lift share quite a lot :lol: At least you have an easy and regular train route through. It's honestly not a problem
wishful

Post by wishful »

Hi Doodles, thanks for your reassuring reply. I am envious of others who seem so sure about their choices but I can't seem to stop worrying about this, I wish I had a crystal ball :D (I know, don't we all!) I keep trawling through old posts trying to find threads on this subject. Yes we are lucky there's a direct train. DH and DD are oblivious to all this, just getting on with their lives which is what I should be doing!
Billie

Post by Billie »

I know girls from Orp that go to Togs and boys at Judd. I also know a couple who have put Togs first for next September above Newstead so as they were high scorers I know your DD won't be alone!
There are joint discos with Judd and Weald schools so if your dd is into the discos you might even be able to organise lift sharing with boys' parents.
I believe classes are organised so that those living in the same area are in the same class so I think that should help, But I can assure you the best friend will be the one who lives the furthest away!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now