Kent 2012 Test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scarlett

Re: Kent 2012 Test

Post by scarlett »

Yes, it's the same for me !!! Ds2 now assumes he too is taking/passing the 11 plus and will also be going to grammar with his brother.I'm a bit worried how he will feel if he doesn't pass...are you ? as well as the feelings of being a failure, he's going to feel second best compared to his brother.....so it's going to be tricky. :(
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

U400JB9 wrote:I`m thinking that having one in a GS is an excellent motivator for DD2 as she feels the need to achieve the same as her big sister..
My third one is due to sit the test 2012 and I feel for her. It may be a motivation but to have 2 older siblings get in puts a lot of pressure on her.
womanofkent

Post by womanofkent »

I have a son taking the test in 2012, I am spending some time reading the forums today to do some research. Neither my DH or I are from Kent so the 11+ is a new phenomenon to us.

My son was and still is into non-fiction but we found the Alex Rider series by Antony Horowitz and he has wizzed through the series the last is just about to be released so am now trying to find other books to keep him interested in fiction, conspiracy 365 looks good too so on request from the library.

For us times table practice out of order needs to be a constant, as if we leave it alone for a while it seems to be forgotten. The bond 10 minute tests I have found quite good, as confidence is required for his maths we are starting on the 9-10 years ones, found these at the best price on Waterstones website. The VR ones we found that you need to really read the instructions for the questions so I can see that it is worth starting these.

good to meet everyone :)
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Hi Woman of Kent !! We're developing into quite a big group !!

Yes, I am finding the same as you...times tables are easily forgotten and the most tricky thing when it comes to vr is reading the question correctly ( and usually about 3 times...and that's just me ! )

you sound very well organised ! :)

My son refuses to read any fiction but will read avidly anything to do with natural history etc and I was worried about his vocab...but he seems to be ok at the vr so I guess he is picking up new words from somewhere ! Maybe I will try the Alex Rider books ! ( to add to his bulging bookcase full of pristine books !)
womanofkent

Post by womanofkent »

Hi Scarlett, the Alex Rider books are about a boy who ends up working for MI5, maybe worth a try.

You're right about the VR, boy do they bring back horrible memories, for me maths is good and my husband which is then hard when we have a child who is very literate and panics about numbers! Writing a story or a poem would be my worst nightmare but for him seems to be so easy, but lots of people say that the Kent test is very maths based so it worries me a bit. Finally got his confidence up in maths and school have announced they are changing the sets and taking some out of the top group and making a middle and lower group, of course DS is so worked up and thinks it will be him, then the maths he will be doing will be not the same level and it worries me that the gap will get wider, seriously thinking of changing schools and supplementing with tutors.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Just when you think something is sorted another problem pops up !!

I had to do a lot of work at home with ds1 as I think he was a bit behind in maths...but he did pick things up quickly. I found once it was explained to him...it was just lots of practice! I recently gave him some maths to do ( as he has his sats ) and he seemed to have forgotten it al! :( there's lots of info on this site, and you have found those bond books.I also used the "How to do ".. bond ones.Have you seen them ? At least if you are good at maths you will be able to help ! I had to keep resorting to a calculator whilst ds1 would look at me in astonishment !!
womanofkent

Post by womanofkent »

:P LOL
I think my son would rather me use a calculator he seems to think that we didn't go to school so when he tells us 6+3=10 and we say no he will argue so much as if we are in the wrong.

I am finding it hard to get the balance right between never mind try another time and WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND! What I have worked out is that he is very anxious to please at times and feels by getting it wrong we will get mad so explaining that at the moment we are trying to find out what he finds hard so we can make it easier I think is the way forward and for me not to show how anxious I am, after all we are a long(ish) way off yet!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Yes, you do have to be careful...we will never know how stressed they are by the 11 plus , will we ?

I used to have to really control myself not to start shouting " You stupid boy ! You'll end up at the rubbish school down the road !" which would have been the worst thing to say and pointless really as that would have been a possibility !

I think little and often is best, and just leave it for a day if they are stressed out..ds was then ok when we went back to whatever he was struggling with...although I was a bit twitchy...aaaaaaaah we're losing a days work ! ( but I didn't tell him that !)
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

My Year 6 DS has got in into Robert Muchamore books - the Cherub series and Henderson boys series. He has found them exciting and interesting.

What a big year the class of 2012 is turning out to be. Does that mean there will be more pressure on grammar school places...?! Or are we just an active set of parents?
womanofkent

Post by womanofkent »

I suppose we could just be an anxious bunch of parents! or well organised!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now