failed by one point.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ramsgatemum

Post by ramsgatemum »

Hi,

I've just had my son's results - VR 123 NVR 124 and Maths 110. He is absolutely gutted that he hasn't passed, and his headmistress has appealed.

In the week leading up to the test my daughter, who has severe disabilities, was extremely unwell and suffering from terrifying epileptic seizures which cause her oxygen levels to drop scarily low. This always affects the whole family and is extremely upsetting for my son.

He was expected to pass the test with flying colours and has always excelled in exams and sats. I think we are all shocked that he has failed with an overall success rate of 85%!!

My questions are:

With these results, is it worth appealing? Will the circumstances be taken into account? Is it possible to re-sit the exam?

Thanks in advance for any help / suggestions
ramsgatemum

Post by ramsgatemum »

Sorry, forgot to add that he is also the baby of the year - birthday 28th August
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

What a nightmare for you. You can't re-sit the exam but in our area, West Kent, you can take the 12+ and 13+, depending on spaces. Obviously that's a big decision as v unsettling for son, once already in another school. I would definitely try the appeal. You would always wonder if you didn't. Good luck!
Peter

Post by Peter »

Whilst you can't retake, you can and should appeal with these results and special circumstances.

If its Chatham House, phone up and ask to speak to Mr Matthews, headteacher, he is very helpful.
ramsgatemum

Post by ramsgatemum »

Thank you both for your replies. I'll certainly try that as my step-son (who lives with us) is at Chatham House already.

It's so frustrating when I know that he is more than capable!!
Kent Mum

Post by Kent Mum »

lladnar, I can't believe the injustice of what your son's going through! It seems so unfair! I think I'd definitely appeal. Obviously you have to look at all the factors involved and decide if you're willing to go through it all- but it seems a shame for him to have to give up the chance of what he wants all for one point!!!

Even if the teacher isn't being very helpful- or a headteacher's appeal failed- don't lose heart. Every single parental appeal happens because the school didn't appeal- or their appeal failed (otherwise the child would have a place and the parents wouldn't need to appeal at all!!!!)- and we all know that, while it may not be easy- Children do get in on parental appeal.

Good luck with whatever decision you make- and its outcome. Let us know how you get on.
lladnar

Post by lladnar »

Hi Kent Mum, thanks sooo much. Very reassuring words. We will appeal, need to start collating 'evidence'! You hear people saying that 'that doesnt prove anything' 'that doesnt account for much' 'thats completely out of context' so what exactly do they want as proof???
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

lladnar wrote:We will appeal, need to start collating 'evidence'! You hear people saying that 'that doesnt prove anything' 'that doesnt account for much' 'thats completely out of context' so what exactly do they want as proof???
If you have any question of this type about your appeal, ask in the appeals section. I am sure that Etienne or someone knowledgeable will help.
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

We also had a boy at our school who has failed by just one point. It's just so sad and he also wanted TWGSB. However, our head is encouraging them to appeal as 30% of the parental appeals were successful last year for this school.
cindy

Post by cindy »

hi lladnar

we are in kent. my son Chritopher just got his results.

124, 128 and 114 in maths! that same one point.

I have done his appeal today with a great deal of advice from this website.
The garage has been turned upside down looking for his old report papers.
I have supported it with just hard facts. Key stage 1 results, awards, reports, headteacher recommendation, teacher recommendation, Yr 5 SAT's results and they are just about to sit another SAT's, the headteacher can give you predictive scores to add to your appeal.
We wanted TWBG

good luck, you may be interested to look at my post on the appeals section
and use the advice that I have been given.

can anyone help me with the sums on the spam control!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now