Chinese parenting & Sept 11-plus takers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Villagedad

Chinese parenting & Sept 11-plus takers

Post by Villagedad »

Happy New Year Kent forum browsers :D

Things have been looking a bit slow of late so I thought I would post an article from a different section of the forum to get some discussion flowing :arrow:

The article is from the Wall Street Journal on Chinese parenting, see below:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... na+parents" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would be good to get your thoughts on this approach...

Would also be good to hear from those parents whose DC are taking the 11-plus in September this year and how they're doing.. Have you started to step up the tutoring like the Chinese parents? :wink:
sherry_d

Re: Chinese parenting & Sept 11-plus takers

Post by sherry_d »

The Chineese parenting article is being discussed here too http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =5&t=18387" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All the best to you 2011 takers.
Impossible is Nothing.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Happy New Year to you too, Village dad...was wondering where you had got to !

Are any of yours doing the 2011 test ? My next one is 2012....so will have to spend my time for now on the rehab section....
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Nice to hear from you again Villagedad.

2012 for us as well.
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

Good to hear from you too. Yeah 2012 for our 1st DS :)

Would be good to hear from those whose DC is taking it this year, i.e. how they're getting on, their strategy etc..
doodles

Post by doodles »

2012 here too. Just having a year off having had DS1 take the exam in 2009.
hopefulmumanddad

Post by hopefulmumanddad »

Hi only recently joined the forum

We're September 2011 AND September 2012 and I have just stepped up into 4th gear with DD!
:)
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Welcome ! My ds is 2012 too. How are you getting on with dd ?
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

hopefulmumanddad wrote:Hi only recently joined the forum

We're September 2011 AND September 2012 and I have just stepped up into 4th gear with DD!
:)
Hi hopefulmumanddad
We are 2012 and just interested in your comment about stepping into 4th gear :)
What did gears 1,2 ,3 and 4 involve, and what about 5th (ie what sort of stuff do you do / cover)?

Kind regards
Villagedad
hopefulmumanddad

Post by hopefulmumanddad »

I guess we are lucky as my DD (Y5) is naturally bright and enquisitive. Very strong in literacy, reads every night, enjoys doing her homework and is in the top set in Maths! Gears 1,2,3 have been supporting her with homework, taking an interest in her work, joining in with her reading (we are both hooked on the Percy Jackson series at the moment - she loves the fact that I read it after her and we discuss it afterwards etc) Also, (and I think really important) we encourage extra curricular and she is really in to football/hockey - it's good for her to have a balance.

We got knocked back a few months ago when she was diagnosed with Epilepsy, however, she is now on her meds and has adjusted well - I wanted to give her time to get to grips with that before going into 4th gear.

4th gear is 10 minute tests every day - not timed and I sit with her and we discuss any problem areas. I did a formal NVR test at weekend (not timed) and despite her being too tired to complete section 5, she still got 61% so I am feeling somewhat relieved about that!

5th gear will be timed tests - but not for a while yet - I don't want her to peak too soon and then get complacent. I am trying to keep it interesting by mixing V/NVR and Maths up and ultimately I am hoping that we will have some fun along the way. There are topics she is really good at (working out codes - so I try and make up "really hard" ones to trick her and she loves that. On areas I've noticed she is less confident, I have peeled it back to the basics so that we can iron out any mis-conceptions etc

What is lovely is that my DS wants to join in (Y4) and so this weekend they both did NVR - I am hoping that his interest will continue but I most certainly won't be pushing it this academic year - the fun with him will start in October!

Mind you, it all seems to be coming round far too quickly - before Christmas it seemed we had loads of time....now? Well the months are slipping by!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now