How many hours per week for 11+ prep

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
anotherworriedmum

Re: How many hours per week for 11+ prep

Post by anotherworriedmum »

neurotic kent mum wrote:Just wondered what everyone else is doing with regard to work this Easter. Thought we would begin looking at the first papers in the first pack of GL papers before returning to school and then finish the first pack ( ie papers 1-4) during the summer term. I am planning to leave the second pack of GL papers ( ie papers 5-8) until the summer holidays- or is this too late for the second pack? all opinions valued. Having a mini break for Easter though as he has been so patient with me!
We did a maths one on Friday which went ok and he got to the end of.
Bracing ourselves for a verbal paper next week; this is his weakest subject so you might find me opening a bottle of wine after I marked it :lol:
pixiedust101

Post by pixiedust101 »

Hi

It's all starting to come around rather fast isn't it! Can not believe Easter is over and done with - eeek.

My DD and I are approaching the exam as follows:

We (she!) is doing 10 mins each of verbal and non-verbal every evening from practise papers, downloads, bonds books etc. I'm being quite strict with the time to get her used to the timings.

We are then approaching maths a slightly different way. We are doing "bite size" sessions on topics such as algebra, volume, missing numbers, squares, primes, problem solving every evening. On a Sunday, I'm putting together a mini 20 minute paper of these sessions. Hopefully little and often will help!

She seems to enjoy maths, but I did notice that she had not covered the majority of the subjects sufficiently in school. Whatever the outcome of the exams in September, it will stand her in good stead for Y7 whereever she may go!

Once a month we will then use the actual papers (NFR or whatever they are called, bottle of wine last night still clouding my brain!) and sit them under exam conditions. I'll give her the time she is allowed, if she has finished all well and good, if not let her continue until she has and give her two marks, one for the exam time allowed and one for the total time.

She has managed to negotiate with me a 50p payment for each night she does, with an additional £1 for each paper she does. As I'm home tutoring I don't mind too much!!!

I do have a back up of a school where my eldest DD has done and is doing fantastically well, and has incredibly supportive teachers, so a lot of pressure is off - both her and me - and the 11+ preparation I did with DD1 has most certainly boosted both her confidence and her ability even though DD1 did not pass.

Good luck everyone
PD
x
laurash

Post by laurash »

Hi Pixiedust

Most of the maths in the 11+ is at year 6/ 7 level which is why she hasn't covered it in school yet. I wonder if many parents realise that or have a terrible shock when they come to do the papers. I had a similar problem with my son last year and had to do lots of catch up work. Only the private schools really cover fractions/ ratio etc in depth in year 5 and of course the tutors all know that the maths has to be tackled ideally from late Year 4 onwards.
pixiedust101

Post by pixiedust101 »

laurash wrote:Hi Pixiedust

Most of the maths in the 11+ is at year 6/ 7 level which is why she hasn't covered it in school yet. I wonder if many parents realise that or have a terrible shock when they come to do the papers. I had a similar problem with my son last year and had to do lots of catch up work. Only the private schools really cover fractions/ ratio etc in depth in year 5 and of course the tutors all know that the maths has to be tackled ideally from late Year 4 onwards.

Absolutely!! We were lured into a bit of a false sense of security by her end of year reports - 4b in Year 4, etc that I thought she would breeze through the maths. The reality is a bit different!! I've been through all the test papers from NFR (or whatever they are called!!) and am in the process of making them into bitesize subjects. I'm also rewriting the questions using different formats so to try and give her as much practice as possible - I work nights, so at 3.00am when I take my break, I've been doing these then. Keeps me off the Internet spending my wages - ha ha

I've found parents dot in dot touch quite good as well as BBC revision.

PD
laurash

Post by laurash »

Do you know the *** Advertising Censored *** site as well? It's good for verbal reasoning and codes and most of the videos are available on You Tube. Just type in Eleven Plus Verbal Reasoning into You Tube. There is also quite a lot of maths stuff on there.
laurash

Post by laurash »

OK- didn't realise I couldn't say the name of the company. Anyway, type in Eleven Plus Verbal Reasoning into You Tube and the site will come up . They are purple and black pages.
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

laurash wrote: Only the private schools really cover fractions/ ratio etc in depth in year 5.
Not all. The preparatory schools do as that is what they get the DC ready for. Many private schools which go upto senior school don't, in my experience.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now