11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

Re: How many hours per week for 11+ prep

Post by mystery »

I am going to start this summer before my daughter goes into year 3!! :!:
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

kentsussexborder wrote:Why would you want/need to start stepping things up a gear for a child sitting the test in 2012 over these summer holidays? They're only 9 and IMO the summer holidays are for recharging the batteries and exploring things outside the school curriculum. There's enough time during the coming academic year to prepare a child who is suited to a grammar school education. Take a break. :-)
The question was intended for those parents whose DC are taking the test this year in 2011 :roll:

Would be good to hear thoughts from any 2011 takers who have a different plan for the summer hols than the usual routine :)
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

Villagedad wrote:My DS will start prep from September (2012 taker) but I've often thought how many hours per week we should schedule to give him the best chance of passing.
Villagedad wrote:Thanks for the feedback everyone

It would be good to hear from anyone who has plans for the summer holidays that are different to their normal routine, i.e. any plans to step things up a gear during this time?
Villagedad wrote: The question was intended for those parents whose DC are taking the test this year in 2011 :roll:
Well, as in your initial post you say 2012 taker and the majority of this replying to this are also 2012, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that you were referring to those sitting in 2012. None of your posts refer to those sitting in 2011. :roll: right back at you VD.
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

kentsussexborder wrote:None of your posts refer to those sitting in 2011. :roll: right back at you VD.
My original post said...
Many thanks in advance to those parents who have been through the ordeal with their DC's and those prepping for this September's exams.
So yes would really welcome hearing from those whose DC taking this September please, plus those who can give their experiences and advice from previous years about school holiday prep :)
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

In the year before my DS's first grammar exam we were averaging 1hr per day. We had 4 topics to get through in that year. To keep things varied we spent 2 half hour slots per day on 2 subjects. The hardest part of the preparation was the summer holidays. But with early starts this still left DS to play with his friends for most of the day. As a parent it is paramount to watch for those danger signs such as burn out, boredom, etc..I also found that as time went on DS spent less time preparing as his marks increased sufficiently to lead me to back off in some areas. Hope tis helps. I was mindful of the advice that brummie exams for grammar schools were set by uni of durham, no past papers etc.. almost folk lore in nature.
dunemigrating

Post by dunemigrating »

Hi Villagedad
My son is taking Bexley and Kent tests this September. We are doing about an hour in the weekend and about 10 mins every morning before school as he gets up SO early. I don't do anything in the evening as I don't want him to get burnt out with homework as well. He is a boy who needs to run around so I pace things and I'm well aware of the damage too much work can do - my husband (who is 45yrs) still remembers hating his dad for getting him to do over and above the spellings he needed to do for homework!!
In the summer, I hope to work on some kind of paper every other day except for the 2 wk holiday we'll be going on. I will also aim for him to learn about 5 words a day from the list on this website. I'm of the opinion, if we have to cram in huge amounts of work in the short time we have left, then it may not stick. I'm just going to pace it and go with the flow. I don't want to stress him too much. Well, that's the theory anyway.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

My ds continued with his class tuition one hour per week during the summer holidays, and we also did one math and one vr paper every week, plus we went over the corrections which was helpful. I also got him to do the 10 minute tests every now and then (maybe 3 times per week) to keep him fresh. He did both the Kent and Medways test on return to school in the summer and passed well. Oh and we also read through his creative writing pieces and re wrote descriptions/paragraphs and talked about rules for letters, diaries etc.

I was very aware that this was his summer too and wanted to make sure there were lots of fun and rest too.

Hope this is useful - however I'm sure for every child it varies!
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

mystery wrote:I am going to start this summer before my daughter goes into year 3!! :!:
:!: indeed! :D
mystery

Post by mystery »

Well I'm not sure whether I'm joking or not ........
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

We all know you are, Mystery. :P
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now