How many hours per week for 11+ prep

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
fatbananas

Re: How many hours per week for 11+ prep

Post by fatbananas »

As someone whose DC is about to go into year 3 as well, what sort of prep were you thinking of doing Mystery? I had thought of consolidating the spellings he's been given over the previous year and working on those timestables he's learnt to date, but should I be doing more?
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Mmmmmmm I'm not really sure. I'm a great collector of workbooks that never get done. I think if I'm going to do anything it will have to be extremely cunning and be in the form of games for maths and involve massive bribery too - or threats.

I was thinking down the spelling route myself too; my problem is that there weren't any spellings worth consolidating this year. I'm not saying my child can spell by any stretch of the imagination but apart from a couple of weeks' worth this whole year of spellings has been inane. If you could bear to type your lists out I would be most grateful and I'll think up a game for them. Maybe a game of consequences each day where two of the spelling words have to be used?

I'd like to teach them some things they don't learn at school too - maybe knitting or reading music or blogging. But really nothing will happen - they'll play in the garden while I pootle on EPE. My other plan is just to sit there all day every day reading a book, cut the power off, throw out the toys, lock the doors and see if Roald Dahl's poem about television comes true.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I'll probably get round to making my children fashion sock puppets when they're about to leave home.

I don't think you can start 11 plus work, by the way until you know they know everything inside out .
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Maybe I'll get DS to type the spellings out - that'll be a start :lol: ! Seriously though, I'll see what I can do re typing up the lists.

A game of consequences sounds an excellent idea.

Scarlett, I think you're absolutely right. I think (?!) we are talking about consolidation really, rather than formally starting the 11+ process. I want DS to have all those essentials in place so we can move onto the 11 plus work without having to go back (too much?) on old ground.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Sorry Fatbananas...I sounded a bit abrupt which I didn't mean to ! DH was keying his way through the front door so I wanted to quickly log off before he thought this is what all I do all day !!!

Anyway, yes it's a good idea to keep everything ticking over. My DD will be going into year 3 too but I won't really get a chance to do too much with her as I shall have to concentrate on DS2 who will be in year5.....aaaargh
mystery

Post by mystery »

That's a great thought Scarlett - I'm not going to start 11+ work until they know everything inside out. Phew, that completely lets me off the hook, forever!!! I have just binned my five year plan for the youngest.

Sorry I'm supposed to be doing an online supermarket shop, and I detest doing them, anything for a little diversion.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Scarlett: sadly, my DH checks my internet history so knows exactly how often I'm on here each day!

Mystery: Internet grocery shops are also the bane of my life. But, just had a thought. What if we got our soon to be year 3-ers to do it? Would be great for maths skills: counting, money, times tables, mental maths etc. and we could use constantly-changing rich vocabulary for all the passwords!

What could go wrong? ... :D
mystery

Post by mystery »

All she'd buy me would be a big bunch of fat bananas, and then spend the rest of the time drooling over the Toys r Us website.
doodles

Post by doodles »

I've just this minute resorted to the electronic teaching method and bought 2 nintendo ds games - one word one and one maths - for my DS2 who will be going into Yr5 in September. Am hoping that he will think they are fun (?) and that I am a kind and generous mummy and not realise the exact reason why I have bought them.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Hmm. My buying some super exciting :wink: maths and spelling games for the new computer coincided with my husband buying two new 'proper' computer games. So they weren't as warmly received as I'd hoped.

Mystery - going into yr 3 I agree, it's not so much 11+ prep but consolidating learning so children feel confident about the syllabus and on top of it. We read a lot with our boys, and always checked spellings. They also loved the NVR Bond books at that age, as they are mainly pictures of puppies in baskets or quantities of ice cream cones. I remember my son being ill with flu and begging to look at one of those 'fun puzzle books.' Took me ages to realise he meant the NVR.

Village dad, my son won't be sitting the exam until Sep 2012 but we are going to work this summer on times tables as he's very shaky on these despite being allegedly top set in his not very academic primary. My aim is for tables 2-12 up to x12 (they only do up to x10 in his school) will be instant recall by September this year. Apart from that, just reading lots of great books and chatting about them, and encouraging but not forcing both boys to keep a diary and write short stories as this will help prep for essays. Same with analogue clock. no huffing and frowning about long hands being between the seven and the eight. Just want instant recall, so there are no problems pacing himself in the exam.