Anyone had their letter yet re:September's test centres?!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

2d12go

Re: Anyone had their letter yet re:September's test centres?

Post by 2d12go »

Yes it is. I had only been concentrating for a few minutes and look at how many mistakes were in my last post!
layla22

Post by layla22 »

We have been allocated Dartford boys. I believe you do get a break between papers( my daughter did hers at Dartford girls a few years ago) and you do get a lunch break - but not on the practice one, hence "bring a pack lunch".
.....IT's GETTING CLOSER!!!!
dani*

Post by dani* »

We did ours last year at Wilmington Girls, nightmare for parking btw! I believe that on the real test day 2 papers were done without a break. A long time to concentrate imho. Having said that DD didn't seem to think it was a problem. She just wanted to get the tests over and done with as soon as possible.

Good luck.
dunemigrating

Post by dunemigrating »

My son's tests are at Tunbridge Wells Girls Grammar. The real test is an hour longer than the pratice test so does that mean they don't do the essay in the practice test?
Also, are they allowed any sort of break/food in between the tests? His test starts at 8.30 and ends 1.15 so there should be something in between shouldn't there?
I think he's going to be giving up by the 3rd paper. He doesn't have much stamina left after doing only one at home!
I will be prepared for Kevin the teenager getting into the car that afternoon.
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

For those of you doing the test at TWGGs I highly recommend that you park in a different road and walk, once you get into the no-through road it is chaos and can be hellish to get back out!
wishful

Post by wishful »

My dd did hers at TWGGS last year. Most of us parked in a side road on the opposite side of St John's road to the school, a few minutes walk away. Be prepared for the long queue and bring a raincoat!

They don't do the essay in the practice test. On the day of the actual test they get one break, not for lunch, they are given biscuits and a drink. I think the break is after the first two papers.
dunemigrating

Post by dunemigrating »

Thank you wishful for that info.
It seems very harsh that they only have one break for the entire time. Did your daughter feel exhausted having the first 2 papers one after the other? My son is only just 10 and I think it will be quite hard for him concentrating for so long. Boys especially need to run around to get the red blood cells working. I think I might get him to ask to go to the toilet and to do a few star jumps in there!
God I'll be glad when this torture is over.
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

I agree that it seems very harsh to expect the children to sit 4 PAPERS on one day. Definately KCC looking after their own and discriminating against the OCC! If only all boroughs/councils would do the same (ie bexley, which seems intent on allowing everyone into its Grammar Schools, except its own residents!!). :evil:
wishful

Post by wishful »

Yes it is harsh that they have to do it in one day, often a long journey, and so early in the morning! We had to travel to TW from Orpington and dd is not a morning person, like me!

Dunemigrating, they are all gathered in the hall (with the parents) and given the opportunity to go to the toilet before the test, you could get him to run on the spot whilst you are queueing to get rid of any energy lol! My dd was completely devoid of energy at that time in the morning, just tired and cold. The lack of breaks didn't seem to worry her though, she wasn't hungry even after the test. And I had struggled to get some breakfast down her, although she said she wasn't nervous. They are allowed to take water in with them.

Your son is almost a year younger than some of the others, dd was in the 'older' age bracket. But he'll be fine, dd really did not like doing the practice at home, but was fine on the day. And don't forget, adjustments are made to the
aggregate score depending on age by as much as 6 points per paper.

Good luck to all taking the test this year, this time next year, like me you'll be wondering where the time went!
vasu

Post by vasu »

We will drive to Kent from Harrow! I have chalked out the details. Sleep by 6 pm for ds. Get up by 5:30am. Hobnobs and milk for pre-breakfast. Bundle up in the car by 6:30am. Take cushions and duvet for kids to snooze for 1hr15mins journey. Reach by 7:45am. Croissant and juice or Potato paratha(indian flatbread) for ds before joining the queue for registration. We have done this while going on road trips so I think we will be ok. My son knows about the gruelling 4 hrs of tests and says he is ok with it.
No point cribbing about it, we have to just get on with it. No matter how unfair it seems for the occ kids. :(
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now