Old GL versus new GL papers.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scary mum

Re: Old GL versus new GL papers.

Post by scary mum »

Certainly you don't need a very high percentage correct to pass in Kent so why all this stress on getting 80% or more that people seem to have?
Maybe it's all the Bucks people you see fussing. Ours need to be scoring 90% on the GL papers really - but we only have VR so don't have to worry about the other things. Says she whose DS is currently scoring about 83% :cry:
scary mum
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

That is scary.( having to score 90 %..not your son's 83 % ) . :)
mystery

Post by mystery »

I've never fully understood the Bucks thing either; you take the top 30% into grammars don't you - it's only the top 25% in Kent. So I still don't understand why you would need particularly high raw scores in the real exam, or how would you equate a practice paper (which is not designed to be the real thing) to the real thing.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I'm not sure either. Maybe someone like Sally Anne or Patricia could explain. I don't know if it's because it's just VR whereas you (rather more fairly IMO) have other subjects too. In order to pass (sorry, be selected), the children have to score 121 which is somewhere around 70-75/80 depending on their age. I think people say that they should aim for 90% to be sure - for the younger ones about 86-87% should do. It is a bell shaped curve which I suspect has become rather scrunched up because of coaching.
scary mum
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

It's probably best not to think too deeply about the whole thing.That's why we turn to the drink.I've got 3...I shall need a liver transplant by the time I'm finished.
Flybynight

Post by Flybynight »

Hi, My daughter did the test last year and my son 4 years ago........ The practice test for OOC is GL paper A. I made sure that my children had seen it before, but did not tell them so that they were nervous on the day!!!
To get 420 you need a score of around 67-82% depending on the childs age and the difficulty of the test. To pass you need around 50%.
Good luck ***
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes - but that's in the real test. None of the practice papers or other stuff you can buy is really the same as a real paper. They are just designed to show you all the different quesiton types that might crop up.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I'm on number 3 & I've got the liver lined up :)
scary mum
mystery

Post by mystery »

I do know someone wiht loads of kids who did the 11+ and who did have a liver transplant; there can't be a connection though as I don't think her children did any preparation.
vasu

Post by vasu »

And I would need a gastric band, if I continue to peck due to anxiety!!!!!
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now