Oh no - domestic disaster - shall I tell him???

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
starmum2000

Oh no - domestic disaster - shall I tell him???

Post by starmum2000 »

We had a fox attack last night and both our ducks are dead :cry:
Stupidly I forgot to shut them in their house although they are still enclosed in a run, it looks like the fox managed to drag them through the bottom of the fence. On the plus side, all 4 chickens are unscathed.
The boys don't know yet & DS has to do his Kent test on Saturday - shall I tell him??
There is a good chance he won't even go out to the run so could well be completely oblivious until I tell him after Saturday morning? On the other hand if he does find out, say Saturday morning, then that would be much worse!
We lost a duck a couple of years ago & he was devestated, and this time one of them was actually 'his' duck.
I'm thinking if I tell him now, he has a couple of days to deal with it, and at least there will be no risk of finding out by accident closer to the day.
Stupid mummy, what a time to lapse & cause chaos :x
RIP Harry & Hip-Hop.
Starmum x
scarlett

Re: Oh no - domestic disaster - shall I tell him???

Post by scarlett »

Oh no...poor poor Harry and Hip -hop . :cry: My children cry their eyes out when one of animals dies...but soon get over it and are planning their next trip to Pets At Home. I would tell him now , I'm sure he won't be thinking about it come Saturday. Maybe play down the dragged to their deaths part though. We had a spate of guinea pig deaths last year and when a baby one became unwell I couldn't bear telling DD that she had been put down too so I'm afraid I told her she was off to live on a farm with her brothers and sisters as they all had some kind of disease and couldn't live with other guinea pigs. :( Just say it was quick or failing that leave a red spotted hankie on the grass. :)
katel

Post by katel »

Our rabbit had to be put down last Monday - the day before the Kent Test. I told ds - I didn't think it was fair not to. He was upset, but fine.
Wonder whether it would count if we have to appeal............!
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

leave a red spotted hankie on the grass.
Consumption? :?
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

No, off on his holidays, Mitasol..off on his holidays !!
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

The death of any pet can be traumatic for kids (two fishes for us), I would keep quite for now and then tell him gently afterwards.
;D
starmum2000

Post by starmum2000 »

Have told him. Immediate reaction was very upset, but seems to have recovered a bit now & has gone to Scouts, so should take his mind off it.
(I know some of you will think I'm crazy sending him to Scouts this close to his tests, some of his friends are not going again till after the tests, but I figure if I stop him doing the things he loves its more pressure & how will he feel if he doesn't pass? So I've let him go :) )
Hopefully he will feel less bad about the ducks come Saturday (especially if we use it as a good excuse for more incubating & hatching in the spring!)
Sorry for the off-topic, it really has been a God-awful day & I'll be soooo glad when these tests are over.
Starmum x
Chocolatey Mum

Post by Chocolatey Mum »

Well done Starmum.

I think you have done the right thing.

There is enough time for him to get used to the fact even if he is upset for a while. Kids are so resilient and I think it shouldn't distract him on the day. Once he's 'in the zone' he will be fine. He might just need a bit more TLC than normal.
Good luck for Saturday.
Jiff

Post by Jiff »

Yes, well done Starmum. We had a similar situation when one of my DS's guineapigs died just before the Kent test. I did tell him and he was very upset, but he still managed to pass the test with flying colours. All of which to say, I'm sure you have done the right thing and very good luck for Saturday.
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

****! DD's guinea pig (one of two) expired last night. Great timing as she's taking the Medway tomorrow and, understandably, very upset!