Failed Medway Hoping for Kent. Is Kent harder?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fingerscrossed4

Failed Medway Hoping for Kent. Is Kent harder?

Post by fingerscrossed4 »

My daughter has failed the Medway test and we are waiting for the results of the Kent test. I wondered if the Kent test was easier or harder than the Medway. Has anyone's child failed the Medway test but passed the Kent test?
sherry_d

Re: Failed Medway Hoping for Kent. Is Kent harder?

Post by sherry_d »

I really don't know which one is hard but I know of a few kids who passed Medway but failed Kent. I vaguely remember someone on here last year whose child passed Kent but not Medway. Good Luck on Monday, just a few more sleeps.

With Medway they put all scores together so a child could still pass if they do struggle in one area whereas in Kent you need to pass all three.
Impossible is Nothing.
TeamD

Post by TeamD »

fingerscrossed4 wrote:Has anyone's child failed the Medway test but passed the Kent test?
Hi my daughter sat both the Medway and Kent test last year. She missed the Medway by 5 points but passed the Kent test with a score of 401. As soon as she came out of the 2 exams she told me that she knew that she had passed the Kent test but thought that she may have not passed the Medway one. It depends wholly on what your DC's strengths are - I knew that my DD was borderline for Medway as she has no interest in creative writing and is more of a Maths whizz and loves puzzles etc so found NVR straight forward and even fun! :lol: It was the English paper that let her down.

She is now at MGGS and loves it! I think that 'failing' the Medway test was actually a blessing as MGGS suits her personality and she has made lots of like minded friends.

Once you've received the Kent test results you'll be able to decide what to do next. I know how upsetting it is to find out that your DC can't go to their first choice school (my DD wanted Fort Pitt) but don't be disheartened over a minor setback. Good Luck with the Kent test xx
fingerscrossed4

Thanks that does help. Same thing on the Medway test, it was the creative writing that was the problem. It's so annoying to know that the teachers already know and we have to wait until Monday! We live in Maidstone so Invicta and MGGS are our top choices because of location but she took the Medway test as well because there are some lovely schools there too.
fingerscrossed4

She failed the Kent test as well, waiting for scores.
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

Sorry to hear that fingerscrossed.

It does seem that the test was harder to pass this year. We know of several children who are in top sets, had tutoring, G&T etc who were expected to pass but didn't.

Not a good year for many :(
fingerscrossed4

She got a score of 372. Missed the minimum math score of 119.
malibu

Post by malibu »

fingerscrossed4 wrote:She got a score of 372. Missed the minimum math score of 119.
Oh what a shame! Have you thought of an appeal, assuming she didn't miss the maths score by much?
fingerscrossed4

There was a head teacher appeal but that was unsuccessful. Her maths was 103 but in her CATs the maths score was 121. So going to appeal to grammar schools in March.
fingerscrossed4

Am appealing to both grammars in Maidstone. Trying to gather my evidence and then send it off. Is it worth mentioning that all her friends are going to grammar and she won't know anyone at the school she's been offered? Or is that not something they would take into account?