Understanding oversubscriptions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Househubby

Understanding oversubscriptions

Post by Househubby »

Firstly, heartiest congratulations to those of you who have had a good result, and commiserations to those who did not. My DS was fortunate enough to obtain a pass mark, so we are thrilled.

However, as I mentioned in a previous post, we are new to the British education system ,and are not au fait with the intricacies of it all. While looking at the options available to us, we see that at least 2-3 times the number of places available are applied for, which has me concerned. Are the numbers shown in the guide to secondary schools the number of those who were eligible and who passed the 11+, or does it include people who applied but who were not eligible.

My concern is that if I read it correctly, then only 1 out of 3 who apply, regardless of a successful pass mark in the 11+, will be given a place, and the rest will be given places at an all-ability secondary after all, which could make the whole exercise moot.

Your insight would be appreciated
Just1-2go

Re: Understanding oversubscriptions

Post by Just1-2go »

I would suspect that the answer to your question very much depends on what part of Kent you are applying in as East and West Kent vary quite a lot. If you are in West Kent you can get quite a good idea of your chances using your childs score and the distance from the school to which you are applying. For instance if you want Tunbridge Wells Grammar for Boys you need to live within a reasonable distance from the school (not sure exactly but north of Sevenoaks seem to struggle) but it doesn't matter what the score is. If you want to get into Judd or Skinners you need a very high mark (particularly for the former) but you can live where ever.

Not sure how it works in north or east Kent but there are many on here who I am sure will tell you.
SSM

Post by SSM »

I think the figures you are talking about are the number of children who applied for that school regardless of where they put it on their CAF. So if every child puts 4 choices on the CAF all the schools would be over subscribed based on applications but not on reality. I hope that makes sense.

Like J12G says I wouldn't take too much notice of these figures but look at what chance you have of gaining entry on their over subscription crieria.
DaddyOh

Post by DaddyOh »

Agree with SSM

Part of the adjudication for the Judd/TOGS/Skinners last year considered the number of places available in GS and found that everyone who passed and wanted a place at GS got one before the start of the year (and that's in the overcrowded West Kent area). I suspect the figures you are looking at are the 'raw applications' and you need to adjust for the fact that everyone is given the opportunity to apply to up to four schools.

However the amount you have to struggle/fight to make that happen varies greatly depending on what part of Kent you are in. If you can let us know what area you live in I'm sure there will be plenty of freely given advice :) on here from those who live nearby.