Moving house...extreme or sensible?!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
T12ACY

Re: Moving house...extreme or sensible?!

Post by T12ACY »

I wanted to pop up and be clear here too. I am not saying that moving home is devious, or wrong. Many people (me included) would do the same if it was affordable, what I do think is wrong would be to rent a property in 'the zone' for 6 months just to get a place and then move on back to the 'real' home. This is coming from the person with 3 boys, none were tutored. We were blissfully unaware that anyone did that until DS3 failed and an appeal was needed........ now that is naive!!!!

Good luck with your quest :D
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

Just ensure that you lay a paper trail to show which is the main residence. In other words make sure that bank statements are sent to the correct address, employer and HMRC have correct address etc etc.
Put bills at "wrong" address in different name.
Sort out council tax accordingly.
If you do all this properly it is difficult to see that you could be culpable.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

There was a programme a while back about the Birmingham 11+ system. Council officials went around to some of the houses to check the people actually lived there. Not sure how widespread this is.

I think we would all consider moving house permanently to help our child. I agree renting temporarily to get into a certain school might seem a tad unfair. However, I wonder whether if we all had the means, and the school was the only decent school around, whether we would all consider it. Just a thought.
dani*

Post by dani* »

I think that those who live it the "right catchment area" and those who don't may have different ideas of what is fair.

As a parent I think there is nothing wrong with doing your research and whatever you can do help to get your child in a school which you believe is suitable, provided the criteria are satisfied. As far as I'm aware the admission criteria do not state that you have to stay in the catchment area for as long as the child is at the school.

[/quote] but I did not say this was stealing, I said in my oninion it is no better than theft. [/quote]

T12ACY : Sorry, foreign you see. Where I was educated stealing and theft would be in the same category.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

pheasantchick wrote:There was a programme a while back about the Birmingham 11+ system. Council officials went around to some of the houses to check the people actually lived there. Not sure how widespread this is.
Officials from the school we were applying from came and checked up on us when we first moved, they check if they feel any areas of concern are raised in our case it was that we lived within catchment but DC went to an ooc primary school. They mentioned that more than one family didn't get a place as they felt that there was some suspicion over actual residence.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I live not a million miles from you so was interested in what you just said. Sorry I didn't understand you - did you mean you were applying to a secondary school for you lived close to, but your child went to a primary school out of the county? And they came to check up on where you lived because of the location of the primary school your child attended (which was presumably a long way from your current address?) to be sure you really did live close to the school you were applying for?

If that's the case they must do a lot of home visits round here as we live close to Kent, Surrey and Sussex borders so people go to all kinds of strange primary schools.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now