Need to hear from Dartford Grammar for boys parents

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sparky25

Need to hear from Dartford Grammar for boys parents

Post by sparky25 »

Hi there, as stated in another post, DS has passed the Kent test with a score of 398 and we are in zone A. Have been advised that we will hopefully be offered a place at DGS. Wilmington is second choice.

I have submitted my online application but can change it up til Monday.

I have spoken to DS and told him that whatever grammar he goes to, he's got hard work in front of him.

I'm just having a panic. Just need to hear from other parents who have boys at DG to give me a little insight into how they cope. I know its extremely academic but to what extent (sense?). Will he be inundated with work. Will he cope?

This time around we are looking at 7 years of schooling and I just want to make sure we are making the right choice.

I really want him to enjoy his secondary school years.

Advice gratefully received.

Sparky
trixiebell

Re: Need to hear from Dartford Grammar for boys parents

Post by trixiebell »

Hi Sparky 25,

My son is in year year 7 at DGS and live in zone A too. His score was pretty much the same as your DS.

He has thoroughly enjoyed his first half term. The first week was "tough love" where the ground rules were laid out to the boys. Now things are more relaxed, as the boys have settled into the DGS way of life.

Homework is regular, but not too much that it takes over family life. We ask DS to do his homework the day it has been set. There is a slightly different approach to the work, implementing the middle years IB programme, this makes it more interesting, not more difficult.

No complaints re not understanding lessons etc.

My DS is very happy and loves every minute of it! :)

The bottom line is whether you feel it is the right school for your DS.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now