Level 5s in High Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

Re: Level 5s in High Schools

Post by mystery »

I think this has got confused. Katel is asking about Kent non-selectives. In Kent there are going to be few if any children with 2 or 3 level 5s in most of the non-selectives. Kent has grammar places for the top 25% of the population. 22% of children in 2011 in Kent, as someone said above, got both a level 5 in English and Maths - so at least two level 5s. This is smaller than the percentage who get into grammars. So in Kent there is plenty of space in the grammars for all the children who got two or three level 5s (there will be smaller percentage who got 3 level 5s than two level 5s).

Katel, do you still need the answer? I think it's pretty clear that if your son achieves two or three level 5s it theoretically places him well within grammar selectivity in Kent ---- unless of course there is no correlation between the NC results and the 11+ results and there are loads of children with level 5s at the non-selectives who failed the 11plus, and loads of kids at the grammars with level 4s who did pass the 11plus.

Maybe you can get the answer the other way round by asking the grammars if they lots of children with two or more level 4s? If they do, the non-selectives then have to have lots of children with two or more level 5s!!
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

My son got 3 high Level 5s and he is at the local comp, having just missed out on the 11+ :(
penguin

Post by penguin »

Twinkles :( , this highlights, to me, the inherent unfairness in testing so early. My DD (current year 5) was predicted high 5s by her previous teacher and head. Although it is cheering and nice to know, I found myself automatically thinking, yes but that doesn't necessarily translate to a good 11+ score 6-7 months earlier especially judging by the peaks and troughs in her performance.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I was told that in Bucks about 10% of children in Upper school (effectively secondary moderns) have 3 level 5s.
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

penguin wrote:Twinkles :( , this highlights, to me, the inherent unfairness in testing so early. My DD (current year 5) was predicted high 5s by her previous teacher and head. Although it is cheering and nice to know, I found myself automatically thinking, yes but that doesn't necessarily translate to a good 11+ score 6-7 months earlier especially judging by the peaks and troughs in her performance.
Oh penguin don't even get me started on the unfairness of the whole 11+. I am still not 'over it' 2 years later!! :lol: My son had an off day and missed by a few points, went to appeal and that failed too but what about all those that are at Grammar who had a 'good day' and just scrapped through, their ability is not questioned at all yet my son's ability was questioned to the nth degree to prove that he should go to grammar but the appeal panel decided otherwise. :(
mystery

Post by mystery »

So sorry Twinkles. Is he at a Kent non-selective? Do you know if he is an extreme rarity there with three level 5s, or is it one of the Kent non-selectives that is a bit more truly comprehensive like some of the church secondaries are?

If 10% of children in Bucks non-selectives have 3 level 5s, then there must be very little correlation in Bucks between the achievement of level 5s and passing the Bucks 11+.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Guest 55, so there's another example of the good people of Bucks being in general brainier than the rest of the population. In 2011 31% attained level 5 in maths and english in Bucks, as compared with 21% nationally. So there won't be enough grammar places in Bucks for all those level fivers, unlike in Kent where we are not so clever.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

About a third are selected for GS so 'in theory' all GS pupils should have level 5s.

The Bucks 11+ doesn't really test for Maths and I know that sometimes a level 3 in Maths will qualify. Many classes will have level 4s in them.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ha ha, you want to teach maths in Trafford instead then. Was just looking at the level 5 results at KS2 for 2011 and they had the highest percentage of children with level 5s - 48% (tied with another couple of LAs I think). Quite a few prosperous counties looked rubbish by comparison. Is it all just a normal statistical variation, or is there something about the different LAs that makes a difference I wonder? I haven't looked year on year to see if Trafford is always leading, and some others constantly lag.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think the Bucks level 5 in just Maths was 44% so very good for a large County - so if a third get to GS you can see how many level 5 in Maths are at Upper Schools. Some Upper Schools in Bucks out perform comprehensives at GCSE ...

It's hard to judge a whole LA as there are such variations e.g. some parts of Bucks are very wealthy but some areas are amongst the poorest in the country.