"Narrowly missed achieving a pass"

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pixiedust101

Re: "Narrowly missed achieving a pass"

Post by pixiedust101 »

My two pennies for what they are worth!!

My DD1 took the test two years ago, failed (which TBH what I was really expecting) but has settled in so well at her secondary school. Even though she failed, I am so so pleased with the life lessons she got from doing the 11+, she encountered subjects in maths she had never seen, so when she came to them in Y6, she was already ahead of the game. Also, the actual exam experience was fantastic for her - she was not fazed at all by the Y7 exams she did. She is now in top sets and absolutely flying !

BTW meant to add that although DD1 failed the Kent (and Bexley) test, in her Y7 tests, she got a 6B for maths, 7A for English and 6A for science !!! And the main reason she got these is because she is comfortable in her comp school, and the lessons go at the right pace for her - she's in the top sets, a place where she has never been before and is absolutely loving it - which in turn is pushing her grades even higher.

Proud mum muchly - this was a kid who was in Remedial classes in Y1 at primary!!  

I guess what I am trying to say is that sometimes things happen for a reason, I would, however, agree with dadofkent who said put in the appeal papers, even a few months can make a difference, if you feel that an appeal is the way to go, you would still have an opportunity - if on the other hand you don't want to appeal at that stage, you can withdraw.

Am entering the fray again this September with DD2...

Wishing you all the very best
Pixiedust
kentmum2011

Post by kentmum2011 »

Unfortunately we just don't have the academic evidence in literacy, she's only working towards a 4b for the end of the year, her current work is 3b/3a. KS1 SATS were all level 2s if I remember correctly.

She wanted to do the 11+ because all her friends were doing it, she didn't think she would pass but wanted to do it for the experience. The fact she came so near was a pleasant surprise for us all and we wouldn't have considered an appeal if it wasn't for the school's initial suggestion. She is genuinely pleased with the school she's been offered, she feels it is more suited to her arty/creative nature, which I also agree with. We had to go on a walk yesterday to plan/time her route and she's already arranged with a couple of girls who live nearby to be 'walking buddies'.

I think overall this has been a good experience for her, the improvement she has made this last year has really boosted her confidence and hopefully we'll end up with a positive story like Tracy and pixiedust, being in top sets and motivated by her success rather than struggling in bottom sets.

Thanks again for all your support.
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

We are in Canterbury, and we appealed, with a literacy of 4b.She got into Langton and is thriving..
However, if she is happy at the local school then she will do well whatever. DD1 hated our local school. I would still put in the appeal papers though......
outofboroughmum

Post by outofboroughmum »

I know this is coming a bit late but it might still prove useful for others that might be in this same position in future. The truth of the matter is teachers sometimes can get it so wrong. My DD was an all round level 3 in year 2 but was quoted as being a level 3a in literacy at the end of year 5 (inspite of all the 11plus practice :shock: ) and a 4a in maths. Knowing what my child is capable of, I knew that the teacher was having me on (as we had had exchanges a couple of times with regards to quality of homework) so I just ignored and focussed on my child.

A few months down the road after summer holidays the same child was predicted a level 4b in literacy and level 5 in maths. At the end of year six, she came out a level 5b in English and level 6 in maths. The most important thing is to know what one's child is capable of and staying focussed inspite of what anyone says. Teachers have been known to get it wrong sometimes.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes teachers can get it very wrong indeed (I am / was one in case anyone feels very offended by this). The problem is that appeal panels use teacher assessments so much it would seem; so a marginal fail plus coupled with not very exciting teacher assessment/ predictions is very hard to shake off.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now