Cranbrook taking admissions at 11?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
West Kent Mum

Re: Cranbrook taking admissions at 11?

Post by West Kent Mum »

Oh dear, 2016... Do anyone know if they plan to also have intake at Yr 9? (DS2 would be entering Yr 9 in 2016)
anotherworriedmum; you mentioned that some DC do Yr 7-8 at GS and then change to Cranbrook in Yr 9. How common is that? How do they prepare for the entrance test?
anotherworriedmum

Post by anotherworriedmum »

I am not sure what would happen to the potential year 8 children in 2016, perhaps they would have two intakes - Y7 and Y9??

I think it is a small handful who go from GS. I am sure that there was something on their site about it when they first talked about moving to 11+ admission but I can't find it now, hopefully someone else will know. My memory was that most of their children move from the independent sector at 13, a small number from comprehensives locally and another small number from other GSs.

People who I know who have moved have used the top end of the 11 plus books, I think Bond do a 12+ one, Galore Park do some papers which people have used and I think there is an active tutor market for the exam!
West Kent Mum

Post by West Kent Mum »

Thank you AWM, my impression was also that the large majority of Cranbrook students come from local indies so it was interesting to hear that a few go via GS as well. That sounds like a possible route for DS2 since we are very keen on Cranbrook but do not yet live in CSCA - if they take Yr 9 students in 2016... I'd better call the school and ask.
anotherworriedmum

Post by anotherworriedmum »

West Kent Mum wrote:Thank you AWM, my impression was also that the large majority of Cranbrook students come from local indies so it was interesting to hear that a few go via GS as well. That sounds like a possible route for DS2 since we are very keen on Cranbrook but do not yet live in CSCA - if they take Yr 9 students in 2016... I'd better call the school and ask.
I am pretty sure that at the presentation info evening when they talked about changing to entrance at 11 that they presented the stats of children who enter the school and where they came from. They might be able to give you that info if you phone them.
klmh1968

Post by klmh1968 »

The ongoing saga of Cranbrook admission at 11 continues! I spoke to some mum's yesterday whose kids attend prep schools in the cranbrook area. They were adamant that admission at 11 was going ahead sooner, rather than later. Admission at 11 was to be via a selected number of local primary schools and not for children who currently live within the catchment area. Admission at 13 was to be from Prep schools. I've looked on the school website and they state that they are looking for year 7 admission in 2015 but potential pupils will sit the 11+.

Has anyone heard anything regarding yr 7 entry via local primary schools and yr 9 directly from prep schools or is this only wishful thinking from the prep school mummies? I was hoping that Cranbrook at aged 11 entry was a potential option for my DD but 2015 is too late and she doesnt attend a primary school in kent or prep school at that either!

thanks
Karen
doodles

Post by doodles »

Klmh if you look at the admissions section of the Cranbrook website it tells you about the public exam for yr 9 entry- doesn't give the impression that it is restricted to the prep schools.
klmh1968

Post by klmh1968 »

I can't see how they can just restrict yr 9 entry to prep schools either. Although the mummies yesterday were adamant or maybe just their wishful thinking! Guess will just have to wait and see....
happyfeet666

Post by happyfeet666 »

I attended the June meeting at Cranbrook School (don't think there has been one since) and they did in deed state that one option could be to take children at 11+ from designated state feeder primary schools , I'm sure they said these would be schools within their current catchment area, and then the 13 + intake would be from the prep schools.
My eldest DC is at a kent grammar school, and although passed the 13+ and was offered a place, we sadly declined it as she is happily settled in her current school. A few do move from their state schools at 13, but a lot do not, hence the prep schools domination of the school!
zvrk

Post by zvrk »

Looking at Cranbrook entrance exam. http://www.cranbrookschool.co.uk/sites/ ... 20tips.pdf
What part of exam gets the most/least points or do they add to same amount of points. I have heard that Maths takes the most points , but also heard that VR is more important. I'm now confused :? .
mystery

Post by mystery »

If the earliest they hope to have a year 7 entry is 2016 they must still be intending to have a year 9 entry in 2016 and 2017 otherwise they will end up with some empty year groups.

2018 would be the earliest year in which they could become entry at year 7 only if that is their future intention.

Interesting they think it will take at least that long just to expand downwards by two classes. Makes a whole new grammar in 2015 in sevenoaks seem very hopeful.

So children who are currently entering years 5 and 6 this sept should still be able to start cranbrook in year 9, and possibly some further cohorts too if the timescale e drags still further.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now