Kent Test September 2012 Takers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
neurotic kent mum

Re: Kent Test September 2012 Takers

Post by neurotic kent mum »

Doodles - may I move with you? Frightening stuff. Have been carefully remanaging ds expectations. Pointed out that local school really very good and that special measures a good thing!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I think many of us may be thinking about the other options now :? My DS2 came home from school yesterday really upset because his friends were having to go to " bad " schools..I've had to spend a long time backtracking and pointing out the positives and finishing off by announcing that if he , by chance, went to these schools he would still be ok because his friends will already be there . :? Phew.
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

I am third timer at this lark, my son is sitting 11+ this September. My daughters (now Y9 and Y7 at TWGGS) did not have a tutor and the younger one refused to do any additional work at all but they were both OK.

We have just had my son's CATS scores and they are mid to high teens which I understand means that his primary school won't recommend him as suitable for the grammar but I think he is bright enough so we will put him in and keep everything crossed!

We aren't doing too much ATM. Fortunately he is a voracious reader. We are just working on his mental maths and problem solving but not doing too much as he is a sensitive little flower (bless!) and we have already had a few meltdowns - he desperately wants to go with his friend but that friend will probably get super selective and my DS is not going to do that! The disadvantage of being a fast reader is that he does not read problem questions properly and jumps to the wrong answer too quickly!
anotherworriedmum

Post by anotherworriedmum »

twellsmum wrote: The disadvantage of being a fast reader is that he does not read problem questions properly and jumps to the wrong answer too quickly!
Sounds like you have my sons twin :-) He is driving me mad as he gets loads of questions right and then the next whole section wrong when he misreads one word in the questions :twisted:
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

My DS1 is driving me to distraction ATM too! Sometimes I think he is really bright enough for grammar then others I just despair! He is quite immature but that could be because I am comparing to his sisters who are 2 and 4 years older and both quite mature for their ages. The bad news for me is I have yet another son to get through this too but the good news is he is three years younger than his brother so at least I get two gap years!
GPmum

Post by GPmum »

Likewise, my DD has days where I think this is all going to be ok, but then days (like yesterday!!) where I think she will NEVER get to grips with the Maths basics. Typically for a girl, she's ok with the VR/NVR but I am afraid the Maths will let her down........
She has her CATS tests later this month, I will be intrigued to see how she does - and also, what the school then recommend!! :?
penguin

Post by penguin »

I agree with all the recent comments in the way my DD's progress seems to be. But I'm also wondering how much of this is my realisation that Sept is looming and the rate of progress in my head is all smooth but what is happening is peaks and troughs.
she still continues to amaze me with how her explanations for a maths questions can be word perfect after a page of wrong answers due to silly mistakes.

A pattern seems to have emerged of her getting the same things wrong repeatedly, then listening me to carrying on at her shaking my head in disbelief and opening and closing my mouth like a goldfish because I can't say the things that are coming to my head because they are mostly harsh words and irrelevant comments about when I was younger etc. etc.

:!: :!: :!: :!:

and then 48 hours later, the same topic is done perfectly.

I had begun to question myself and that maybe my DD will not be able to do the 11 +

but then I always think that she actually is brilliant at lots of things and mostly at being herself and she is just the sort of person who I would have wanted as a friend in school; intelligent, funny, kind and fun to be with.
She will flourish at a grammar school and will enrich other's experiences by her being there so I'm going to do my part in trying to get her there

as I'm sure all of you will

Good Luck :P
GPmum

Post by GPmum »

Has anyone had parent consultations this term? We had ours this week.
My DD has been marked at level 5C for maths, 4a for reading and 4b for writing at present. Seeing as it is only March, one ASSUMES she will be at least 5C for all subjects by the end of this year (Y5).

So, how does that look for sitting the 11+ in September? As this is our first time, we're not sure if that means she's on target or not.

Any thoughts anyone??? :?:
dottie1974

Post by dottie1974 »

GPmum wrote:Has anyone had parent consultations this term? We had ours this week.
My DD has been marked at level 5C for maths, 4a for reading and 4b for writing at present. Seeing as it is only March, one ASSUMES she will be at least 5C for all subjects by the end of this year (Y5).

So, how does that look for sitting the 11+ in September? As this is our first time, we're not sure if that means she's on target or not.

Any thoughts anyone??? :?:
On the information paper that came out with dd's school report, it said that the characteristics of a 'high achieving' child that should consider grammar school are level 4B+ at end of year 5 so it sounds like your dd is well on target. Also that the childs Nfer score for maths, verbal and nvr should be consistently at 118+.

Well done GPmum's daughter!
Hope this helps
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Which book is everyone using at the moment?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now