Any year fours out there?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sparx

Any year fours out there?

Post by Sparx »

Complete newbie to the forum any year fours out there atall?
penguin

Re: Any year fours out there?

Post by penguin »

Hi

I am a lurker turned newbie of a year 5.

welcome to the forum. I'm new to stuff too, moving to Kent on Tuesday.

If you've got any particular worries or thoughts, feel free to post them on here (I did and I was literally rescued). Anyway remember everyone on here has been at the year 4 stage before so can advise you from their experience of that time.

Good luck

Penguin
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Sparx - Welcome to the site. Please feel free to ask anything. Someone will have the answer.

Penguin - Hope the move goes smoothly. Welcome to Kent (from another year 5-er and year 7-er)
aargh

Post by aargh »

My Y6 DD has just got into the right level to get the Gram of her choice.
My DS is in year 4 but is in a year 5 class. School have not said anything as yet but I am worried if they suddenly say they think he should go straight on to y6 when I will not have done his 11+ prep. Hopefully not.
I did 11+ prep with DD from Spring term in year 5.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

welcome to the forum.

best thing to do in year 4 is concentrate on tables, quick mental maths and vocabulary. Loads of games like boggle and scrabble ( using a dictionary), there are some fun online games for tables ( start with woodlands junior site http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for ideas).

There are lots of helpful people on here, just ask if you want help. Explore the rest of the site too, we have a lovely forum, but also a bookshop and lots of advice pages. If you want a break visit rehab..be warned though , once there you may never leave....that's why we also have beyond 11+ and university sections...

:D
mystery

Post by mystery »

What about University of the Third Age? I'll be needing it soon.
kingsgen

Post by kingsgen »

aargh wrote:My Y6 DD has just got into the right level to get the Gram of her choice.
My DS is in year 4 but is in a year 5 class. School have not said anything as yet but I am worried if they suddenly say they think he should go straight on to y6 when I will not have done his 11+ prep. Hopefully not.
I did 11+ prep with DD from Spring term in year 5.
My ds was in the same shoe like yours but he was moved to year six due to our request for him to do the 11plus as he was just about six weeks out of the school chronological age and he is been working in Year six since he was in year 4.

I prepared hin for 11 plus in kent and Bexley with some of his friends and they all passed but he passed with 420 (100) in Kent and 280 (100%) in Bexley.

So if you want him to go a year earlier like some ind schools pupils, you can start preparing him now as I now another girl that was in Grammar school a year earlier and some Grammar schls in Kent and Bexley do accept them.
I will agree with Yoyo that start working on his vocabulary and Mental maths, time table and KS2 maths . Some of them have big brain that can cope with some of KS3 maths.

Wish you the best in search of acre of diamond in Kent
mystery

Post by mystery »

That's interesting. Which grammars in Kent take children a year early? I didn't think the Kent admission system could cope with it! BTW 420 in Kent is not strictly 100%. You can get quite a few questions wrong and still get 420.

Do they do the age related standardisation correctly in Kent for a child who is outside the normal age range for Kent when sitting the test?
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

mystery wrote: BTW 420 in Kent is not strictly 100%. You can get quite a few questions wrong and still get 420.
Yes, anything above 75%-ish equates to a score of 420 in the Kent test. 280 in Bexley is also a standardised score.
Sparx

Re:Vocabulary

Post by Sparx »

Can anyone give me any tips apart from reading on increasing my daughters vocab and words with similiar meanings ie online games board games etc etc ... I am doing the bond books with my year4 VR, NVR and private maths tuition once a week only doing about 4/6 ten minute tests however have brought the assessment papers to step it up a little any suggestions for anything else I could be doing to help would be appreciated. Many thanks
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now