Level 5s in High Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
katel

Level 5s in High Schools

Post by katel »

Does anyone know how many children start high school with 3 level 5s? Is this information even collected? Thank you!
tigger2

Re: Level 5s in High Schools

Post by tigger2 »

Hi ! I am sure that someone will be along to point you in the right direction but know that this info is possible on a school by school basis. If it is of any help our local primary figures show that 97% of children in 2011 left year 6 with a minimum of 3 level 5c or more. In 2009 it was 98%. I have no idea how representative this is though . If you are just after figures for Kent and no one else has any other ideas I would recommend phoning Kcc. Hope this is of some help! Tigger
katel

Post by katel »

Sorry- not making myself clear. What I wanted was the % who start at a non- selective secondary school.

97% left year 6 with 3 level 5s! Wow- are you sure???
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Perhaps it depends on the sort of high school it is, Katel ? there are some with good reputations where many parents are happy to send their children and then some which parents avoid...perhaps the former would be more likely to have borderline children who weren't put in for the Kent test but by the time they finished primary had really come on .....ending up with all level 5's ? I suppose individual schools might know ? although their subsequent grading of new children seems to differ to primary .

I take it this is referring to your situation and the high school your son might be going to ?
mystery

Post by mystery »

I think Tigger must have been quoting level 4c and above.

3 level 5s at Kent non-selectives - I wouldn't think that this data is collected anywhere centrally for the authority as a whole. Each individual school would theoretically know, but again whether they actually sort their data on entry this way I don't know. You'd think though that with Raise Online etc now that it should be available at the push of a button. Maybe you can request it from your school and if they say no, try again under the Freedom of Information Act either with the school or the LEA.

It will be extremely low in Kent I am sure. Higher at the church non-selectives in West Kent I would imagine where some parents choose the school in preference to grammar.

What's the percentage that get 3 level 5s nationally? And in Kent?
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

I’ve been doing a little bit of hunting round and can’t find this information centrally – all the data appears to be geared to showing the percentages which got level 4s, presumably on the basis that this is what has been deemed an acceptable level. Individual schools and LEAs must have a record, but it probably hasn’t been collated anywhere.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Best I can find for Kent is here http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/per ... 86_ks2.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Includes information for KS2 L5 tests in both English and Maths. Teacher assessments (science) are listed separately.

% achieving Level 5 in both English and maths tests
Kent average 22%
National Average is 21%
but some schools in Kent getting a very high 70%+
mystery

Post by mystery »

So making so big assumptions, the percentage in Kent getting level 5 in both maths and english is only a little lower than the percentage that pass the 11+, so assuming the bulk of 11+ passers go on to get level 5 in both maths and english, there will be very few attending the non-selectives unless there are a lot of parents of such children who did not enter their children for the Kent 11+ for some reason.
Caroline1852

Post by Caroline1852 »

You could extrapolate.
National L5 Attainment in state primary schools (these figures are perhaps not the most recent)
English - 29%
Maths - 36%
Science - 40%

But given a lot of parents educate privately to age 11, and then go on to use grammar schools, might the figures attaining L5 be higher in grammar school areas, possibly?

I don't know how the venn diagram of attainment would look, if those attaining L5 at maths are the same students who attain L5 in english etc.

If grammar schools cream-off the top 22% there must be a lot of children who achieve L5s, and indeed 5,5,5, who don't make the cut. Especially as there are plenty of students at grammar school who achieved 4, 4, 5 in the KS2 SATs.

Might it make sense to start with trying to find out how many students attain 5, 5, 5 and are not put forward for the 11+? Perhaps that's something the Sutton Trust might know?

I'm surprised there isn't a study of the correlation between SATs scores and 11+ performance somewhere. There surely isn't any: they are very different tests.
MoJo

Post by MoJo »

My child is at high school, and went in with two 5s and a 4. He isin top set, but has just had a week of exams to check the class is correct. They have been told they need to have scored a level 6 to keep top set! That is in every subject.nthey are really working them hard.

You have to realise there is a whole mass of highly achieveing children who did not pass for grammar and have to go somewhere.

They are expected to get better results gcse than lower classes of grammar. I have seen the work he gets and can believe it.

For the record I know because I have a grammar child too.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now