SHOULD I APPEAL

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

so very sad

SHOULD I APPEAL

Post by so very sad »

HI THERE ALTHOUGH I HAVE FOLLOWED THIS PAGE FOR OVER A YEAR, I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD BE IN THE SITUATION I AM IN.SILLY REALLY I SUPPOSE WE ALL READ THIS AND SAY POOR THINGS, NOT REALIZING IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU .MY DAUGHTER GOT HER RESULTS
I COULD REALLY DO WITH SOME ADVICE SHOULD I APPEAL? ARE THESE CLOSE ENOUGH OR AM I BETTER LEAVING ALONE,UNFORTUNATELY , WE DID NOT GET THE COMP WE WANTED EITHER, THEY GAVE US A SCHOOL WHICH WE HAD NOT EVEN LISTED FOR OBVIOUS REASONS...ITS CLOSE BUT REALLY HAS LOTS OF TROUBLED PEOPLE. WE ARE IN THE KENT AREA. ANY HELP OR ADVISE WOULD BE GREATLY TAKEN
Peter

Post by Peter »

With those scores it will all depend on the grammar school you have applied to.
SomethingAboutMary

APPEAL

Post by SomethingAboutMary »

The Kent pass scores are in excess of 120 in two subjects and circa 115 in the third.

Your scores are in the ball park. I say, subject to mitigating circumstances and academic record/head teacher's support, APPEAL.

Have a look at the excellent Appeals section both in the forum and the main body of the is website (from home page).

appeal

Post by Guest »

you have nothing to lose by appealing, speak to your class teacher and you headteacher, if you don't do this you will always wonder what if....if your child was expected to pass i am so sure your school will support you, good luck!
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

In a similar position

NVR 138 Maths 118 VR 119.

So very close, and as parents we are gutted. The Head teacher has already appealed.

What she did say however is that we could be successful but still not get in a Grammar.

Are there any people in Kent that have have been successful, nd what is the process? If we are successful, are they obliged to provide a Grammar school? Do you they have to give good reason why they can't provide a place?

Thanks
Peter

Post by Peter »

You don't appeal for your child to be selective. You appeal for him/her to have a place at a particular school.

As such there is no way you win an appeal and don't get offered a place at the school.

If there is no room, and you are unable to make a case for more, the child is turned down, whatever the merits of the case.
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

Peter wrote:You don't appeal for your child to be selective. You appeal for him/her to have a place at a particular school.

As such there is no way you win an appeal and don't get offered a place at the school.

If there is no room, and you are unable to make a case for more, the child is turned down, whatever the merits of the case.

Thanks for the reply - Yes I guess what she meant was, the school could well be full up and therefore we get declined. However I read somewhere that if the school has upped admissions in the past, and the school cannot prove the results were affected then they are duty bound to give you a place. Not so sure if this is true?

With the results i've given you, would you think the appeal be successful? He is as close as you can get!

Just found out his whole class passed as well, so he is very upset.
so very sad

Post by so very sad »

HI SORRY FORGOT TO SAY
Peter

Post by Peter »

PaulR

Unfortunately, you don't say which school you are appealing for. There is a reasonable rate of success for appeals in Kent (far better than Medway or Bexley!) but it does depend on the school and personal circumstances.

To repeat, you appeal for a place at a school not to become selective, so you can't win a selective assessment.

Yes, they will provide reasons if your son is not offered a place.

soverysad

Go for it.
unsure

missed it on two papers

Post by unsure »

Hi there, yes go for it but don't count on it. Those marks do not sound very "borderline", neither have you given us any reason for why you think your child is normally a strong performer but was not on the day. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but your post sounds understably upset about it, but not surprised.

Please can you use lower case when you post - it is an effort to read all those capitals!!

If I were you, I would also be strongly considering how to get offered a place at the non-selective school that you really wanted as well as pursuing the grammar school appeal. Don't let the grammar school appeal stop you pursuing the more desirable non-selective place.

Best of luck
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now