Attention Sevenoaks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
scarlett

Re: Attention Sevenoaks

Post by scarlett »

I haven't posted on this debate yet , nothing I try to write sounds right but I just want to say that I fully support the campaign and will do all I can to help.My DC are in the catchment for the Maidstone grammars, but everything seems so random...who knows what will happen over the years. :(

Without posting too much personal information, I have been involved in campaigns in the past and the most important thing to hold on to is that you should never under estimate people power. It does make a difference and if you can put together a balanced , articulate argument and constantly present it in the media, meetings etc even if you feel you are going over the same old thing...it reminds the powers that be , that this isn't going away..something will have to be done.

Good luck to you all.
Redrobyn

Post by Redrobyn »

Bristols, perfectly understand and agree including the catharsis.
Dont mean to nag people but more than one letter to the same person would help, as no doubt you and Scarlett have done so. The only problem with catharsis is that once we have completed the first letter, we feel better because of it and that means no second or third etc!
I know this only too well as when going through a sticky patch emotionally years ago I wrote to my Danish friend about the whole thing, around 125 pages, and never posted it.
Without wishing to sound mawkish, this issue means everything to me, my raison d'etre if you like, and cannot rest until its resolved.
"She sets herself very low standards, which sadly, she constantly fails to meet"
"He has an eclectic collection of information at his disposal" ....i.e. He cheats by looking at others answers.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Redrobyn, don't worry, you are not alone. :)
Redrobyn

Post by Redrobyn »

Appreciated Doodles,
Nor are any of you alone.
I shall try to attend the meeting at KCC on the 19th (I think) to show a little solidarity with the all the children around here including future ones.
"She sets herself very low standards, which sadly, she constantly fails to meet"
"He has an eclectic collection of information at his disposal" ....i.e. He cheats by looking at others answers.
bristols

Post by bristols »

I believe that the meeting is actually on the 29th March, not the 19th - see the earlier posting. I'm going to try to make it.

Kent County Council have the power to actually do something about the problem. A grammar school annex would certainly help future children but I'm not really sure what KCC have to offer the current cohort.
Redrobyn

Post by Redrobyn »

Yes my mistake with the date, its the result of not sleeping due to this farce. Almost anything they do until a grammar is going is worthwhile, short of grammar streams and unrealistic travelling.
Redrobyn

Post by Redrobyn »

Does anyone know why TWGBS dropped short their catchment and when and how did they (Or KCC) publish this?
bristols

Post by bristols »

The catchment area of TWBGS depends on the number of boys living close to the school who want a place. Judd and Skinners took a record number of boys from out of county this year using their super selection system, and consequently there would have been a lot fewer places left over for the West Kent boys that didn't get the really high scores. These would then go to the boys who live closest to the one boys' grammar school which operates on catchment area only, TWBGS.

There is also a population growth all across West Kent, which is making a bad situation worse. Consequently, Sevenoaks has been pushed out of the catchment area. Catchment areas change every year depending on how many boys live nearer wanting a place but I can't see this situation improving unless something drastic is done, like the grammar school annex in Sevenoaks.

I don't think KCC have published anything about catchment areas - we're supposed to work it out for ourselves.
trixiebell

Post by trixiebell »

My advice would be to pester your Kent County Councillors, visit their surgeries before the full Council Meeting. They are elected to represent you, use them.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

There now seems to be three threads on the same subject in the Kent forum - would be helpful if we could stick to the one entitled

First grammar in 50 yrs: campus in Sevenoaks proposed

Thanks
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now