How does Kent Score?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
alipalicat

How does Kent Score?

Post by alipalicat »

Can someone help me please? My son sat a Grammar School Entrance Exam and missed out by a couple of marks. The teacher said that he was Grammar School material, so requested that he sat the 11+, which he did yesterday. She was very positive and said that going on the marks he scored on that day, he shouldn't have too much of a problem, especially as the 11+ scores are added together?

I'm not quite sure what this means? My son really struggles with his maths but seems to do really well in VR and NVR. Does this mean that if his maths score is low but the others are high, he may have a chance of passing and what is the actual pass mark?

I would appreciate any help/advice.
guestkent

Post by guestkent »

To pass the Kent 11+ you have to score at least 120 in two of the papers and 115 in the other paper.
alipalicat

How Does Kent Score

Post by alipalicat »

Thanks for that info but how do they get those score, if say the maths had 60 questions, NVR 80 etc? How many questions would they have to get correct?
guestkent

Post by guestkent »

Sorry, I wasn't clear.

The 120 and 115 are standardised scores, you can find more info about standardised scores on the link below.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/standa ... scores.php
j c mum

Post by j c mum »

it depends what area you are in as to whether the scoes are added together . some schools are super selective and set pass rates for combined scores, only taking the top passes often minimum requirements are 410.

In other areas a pass is usually good enough to secure a place providing you pass all papers. The pass mark varies each year depending on the general educational ability of each year 6. i have known the pass mark to be as high as 121.....

good luck
kentmum1

Re: How Does Kent Score

Post by kentmum1 »

alipalicat wrote:Thanks for that info but how do they get those score, if say the maths had 60 questions, NVR 80 etc? How many questions would they have to get correct?
If you look at The Judd School's website - they explain the standardisation very clearly. It's in the admissions/Kent tests 2007 section. However, if you want an example of this years test, I can tell you what my son's standardised scores related to in terms of the actual raw scores on the paper. On both the NVR and VR, he got the top score of 140 but had 17 wrong on one and 13 on another. He got a score 127 on the maths but got 17 wrong (out of 50). As a general rule, it seems you have to get around 50% of every paper right to secure a pass. It may sound easy but the pressure on the day really makes a difference. My son had never made this number of mistakes in his practice papers, so I feel a certain standard does have to be reached to get through the actual tests. It's all relative. He had said that the maths paper was one of the easiest he had ever done but it just shows you what pressure can do! He is also one of the eldest, so had no extra points added.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now