Moving to Tonbridge...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mama2

Moving to Tonbridge...

Post by Mama2 »

What should my back up school be ??? If DD doesn't get a Grammar school place at Weald of Kent, Tonbridge or TWGSG?

I don't live in the area at the moment, but due to move in the next few months(as soon as we found a house)

Obviously our purchase would heavily depend on being in the right school catchment too. Oh it's so stressful
Thanks
mystery

Re: Moving to Tonbridge...

Post by mystery »

OK, well there is Hillview School for Girls, Hugh Christie Technology College (mixed) ..... not sure there are any other choices unless they travel to Sevenoaks for the new grammar stream (whatever that is I don't know) at Knole Academy.

You could also consider the church schools in Tunbridge Wells - Bennett Memorial and St. Gregs, but look carefully at their admission policy. If a new Christian free school opens in Sevenoaks in Sept 2013 that's an option ........ also there's a vague possibility of a new grammar school in Sevenoaks.

If either of these new schools do happen in Sept 2013 it will mean that it could be easier to get into some schools that it is very hard to get into at the moment.

If I were you I would be building up a case for appeal if you think your children are definitely in the top 25% of the population but that there's a chance they'll flunk it on the day. See the appeals thread for lots of advice - what you would need from their old school, how useful an Ed Psych report could be etc etc.

Watch Katel's appeal thread and see what happens, and find out which Ed Psych she used!!
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

Most of the schools will have Open Days / eves in the summer - why don't you go an have a look at some of them if you don't currently live too far away. Have a look at their websites for dates - you may need to book a place.
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Hillview is a highly though of school with outstanding Ofsted. The catchment normally is around 3 miles, from people i know anyway, so a decent area. It does say its a 'performing arts college' and they have wonderful dance/theatre facilities. However, all the families i know who have been or go there say there is a good balance of subjects and many girls, even if they pass the 11+, chose it over a grammar. Definitely worth a look. :D

Mixed reviews about Hugh christie. Depends who you talk to! An option if you want a mixed school though and you will almost definitely get a place :wink:
Mama2

Post by Mama2 »

Thank you for your replies.

We will definatley consider Hillview. My daughter is a keen violinist too. She has just looked at the website and said she would be very happy going there too!
It's good to know its a well thought of school, that makes life easier if things go wrong with the 11+.

Now,mI just have to find a house, put offer in and Move!!!!
:D
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Hi Mama2

There are taster days to Hillview and Hugh Christie later this month...I know someone moving from Greenwich who has managed to get her daughter on the Hillview day...only a thought.

I am sure that you will get different opinions but I would not recommend Hugh Christie ...I am not 100% certain on this but I don't think that they allow for music lessons anymore because there is not enough demand. Also they have just been downgraded by Ofsted from good to satisfactory.

I was far more impressed by Hillview and agree with the other post saying that some girls who have passed opt to go there and go on to do extremely well.

Good Luck!
kentmum4

Post by kentmum4 »

Hi,

I have a daughter in year 9 at Hillview School for Girls. We chose for her not sit the Kent Test, she is at the top of the ability range at Hillview, very happy and doing very well. The performing arts opportunities are amazing. My second daughter will go there too. Cannot fault our experience so far.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Can I ask you what the maths is like there? I've always thought the GCSE maths results look a bit depressing.
kentmum4

Post by kentmum4 »

My daughter is much more confident in her maths now as, although in the top set, the pace is right for her and we are thrilled that she is on course for a GCSE Grade B.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Well that's great as long as that is the best grade that she could possibly get in maths GCSE.

The thing that puzzles me is that they get so few As and A* at GCSE - one the one hand this I can understand as it is a non-selective with theoretically the top 25% missing as they have gone to the grammars. However, the slant on the school seems to have changed according to a a few threads on here. There is one thread where someone reports the school as quoting quite a significant number of children who had two level 5s at KS2. One would expect these children to be getting A and A* at GCSE. Or is this really the current year 7 that is being talked about so the results have not yet worked their way up the school?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now