Book recommendations for 10 year old DD

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Samlet

Re: Book recommendations for 10 year old DD

Post by Samlet »

Some more 'old-fashioned' books can be great, more challenging vocabulary and free of teen issues!

My DD enjoys Arthur Ransome, Joan Aiken (Wolves of Willoughby Chase and many sequels), Noel Streatfeild, E Nesbit (more as an audio book), The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge (a favourite of mine and JK Rowling!), and I am trying to get her into historical novels by Cynthia Harnett (not many still in print but really worth hunting down).
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

Ooh yes my dd loved marianne dreams! Good choice!
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

At the moment my DD is ploughing through all the 'this book is secret' series alongside the Ingo ones. She recently enjoyed Peter Pan in Scarlet and When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit. She doesn't fancy Michael Morpurgo (war horse, shadow) as they are too sad nor anything too 'boyish' such as Alex Ryder nor Jacqueline Wilsons as they are full of relationship stuff/divorce. Emily Windsnap series was bother one she liked
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

My dd loved the Percy Jackson series and after you have read them you can enjoy watching the film. We also loved the Roman Mystery series by Caroline Lawrence, loads of them, try and read them in sequence, the first is The Thieves of Ostia and all the Narnia books. Start with the Magican's Nephew, the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is actually the second one. The Railway Children, Toms Midnight Garden, the Ghost of Thomas Kempe, Treasure Island, Mrs Frisby and the Rats of Niamh,The Wind in the Willows, Carries War Watership Down, Swallows and Amazons and our absolute top favourite Just William! We actually laugh out loud when we read it. The journey of Edward Tuilane is lovely and Once by Morris Gleitzman but you need to be prepared to tackle Hitler and the Jews for that. We have read Jackie Wilson and even gone to see her speak and met her. She is important because she tackles gritty issues that impact children today but there is so much more. It is depressing to walk in a classroom and see all the girls reading it and nothing else. DG
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

My DD has just turned 11 and has a pretty mixed taste in books but not really into Jacqueline Wilson This is a list of book read in the last 2 yrs.
Percy Jackson/ heroes of Olympus/Kane Chronicles by Rick Riordan
Septimus heap series by Angie sage
Star of Kazan and anything else by Eva Ibbotsen
Alex Rider Series/Power of five series by Anthony Horowitz
Henderson boys/ Cherub by Robert Muchamore
shapeshifter /frozen in time by ali Sparkes
Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy
Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee stewart
The secret series by Pseudonomous Bosch
39 clues series
More recently she has got into the Twilight series and currently loves Jane Austen especially
Pride and Prejudice
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Secret seven by Enid Blyton
Mallory towers
St Clare's series
Anne of green gables
GuiltyMum

Post by GuiltyMum »

Hi

My daughter still likes the secret Seven, Stig of the Dump, Tom's Midnight Garden, Goodnight Mister Tom (both my favourites), DD also likes the TV movie of Goodnight Mr Tom, Micheal morporgo, Percy Jackson, Malory Towers.
palacebelle

Post by palacebelle »

Many many thanks for all your recommendations - its interesting to see all the different themes here! Thanks again! Its certainly helped! :D
Getalife

Post by Getalife »

I worked in a library for many years and the most popular children's books by far were Roald Dahl and Enid Blyton! Gets them reading, and sometimes the classics can put them off. Also Eva Ibbotson very good, and wrote the Harry Potter plot (I think the book was called Platform 13and a half) way before JK Rowling.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now