Book recommendations for 10 year old DD

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

palacebelle

Book recommendations for 10 year old DD

Post by palacebelle »

Hi
Sorry if I have put this in the wrong section but wasnt sure where it should go? :shock:

Just wondering if anyone could give me some book recommendations for my 10 year old DD? She really likes funny stories, girl heroines, tomboy etc. We have been reading the Jackie Wilson, Cathy Cassidy type books and also Harry Potter, Pippi Longstocking etc but would like other peoples opinons as to what their DD's find interesting and funny.

Please feel free to point me in the right direction if this question has been asked before - I did search but couldnt see anything.

Thanks for your help!
:)
neveragain*

Re: Book recommendations for 10 year old DD

Post by neveragain* »

My dd loved the cornelia funke ( she considered germanys jk rowling) novels at that age ( ink heart etc) ....and also began reading things like 5 children and it, the phoenix and carpet etc.....another favourite series was the history from the point of view of a child (fictional) in the period......all good bookshops stock them.....she loved those and of course they helped her historical knowledge too. I found it a hard age as her reading age was high but all the books that matched it were full of relationship issues/ bad language or drugs etc which she wasn't interested in and I didn't want her reading. It's an in betweeny stage isn't it.......
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Lemony Snicket? Jaqueline Wilson? Will edit as I think of more that my DD read at that age. It will very mcu depend on the individual chld too. Percy Jackson series?
scary mum
palacebelle

Post by palacebelle »

Thanks Neveragain! Absolutely! Thats what I have found - its either boyfriend issues or other issues or even books written in American speak! I dont think she needs to be reading about yet ! :? I will look into those that you have recommended. Thanks for the reply. :)

Thanks scary mum! DD has read most if not all the Jackie Wilson series and loved them. I will look into the Lemony Snicket which I had heard of and will check out the Percy Jackson series which I hadnt heard of. Thanks again!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

The advantage of Lemony Snicket is that there are loads of them! I didn't particularly like them but all 3 of my kids loved them. If she likes Harry Potter I think she will like the Percy Jackson ones - they are based on the stories of the Greek gods. I think the author has another series (possibly based on Egyptian mythology, but I'm not sure).
scary mum
inmystride

Post by inmystride »

DD loves all the Michael Morpurgo's and Little House on the Prairie series. She read all the Lemony Snickett books when she was 7 or 8 but loved them so much she re-reads them still.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

inmystride wrote:DD loves all the Michael Morpurgo's and Little House on the Prairie series. She read all the Lemony Snickett books when she was 7 or 8 but loved them so much she re-reads them still.
Ditto, inmystride, they were the books that got my boys reading "properly" but they still sometimes read them now. DD read them later as we didn't know about them when she was 7/8, but still enjoyed them.

PS I love a good book recommendations thread. If you look in "Everything Else" there will be a few, but interestingly mainly for boys (and one or two adult ones), not girls.
scary mum
suzanne

Post by suzanne »

I would recommend Heidi.
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

The history ones are called my story - suddenly remembered! She also loved ballet shoes and all the Noel streatfield ones. Nancy Drew stories exciting......
Jiff

Post by Jiff »

Sometimes a bit unsettling, but Marianne Dreams by Catherine Storr is a fantastic book with a girl heroine. (I also read it to a 10 year old boy I work with who has ADHD and he was riveted and still talks about it a year on.)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now