Tunbridge Wells Boys Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Post by Guest »

Peter, I'm intrigued. Why would TGS wish to have a PAN of 140 if they know they are going to take 150? Since they select on rank order they would probably end up with higher-scoring girls if they just offered all 150 places in round one.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Highest scores are one method of selecting the ablest girls, very fair to all and objective. At the margins (i.e for girls 140 - 150) taking other factors into account introduces flexibility and allows other evidence of high ability to be considered.

This may be a more reliable method of selecting the next group of girls with the highest potential. Certainly there are many parents who believe for one reason or other, that their daughters have not performed to their potential. The purpose of appeals is to consider that evidence.

I am certainly aware of three successful appellants who produced such alternative evidence.

Post by Guest »

The problem is, of course, that not all able girls have parents with the knowledge and determination to mount an appeal. You are selecting from the relatively small pool who do. Not perhaps so fair.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Sorry,

I was just answering the question I was asked, to the best of my ability.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now