Sevenoaks Grammar?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

cupcake

Sevenoaks Grammar?

Post by cupcake »

Interesting article in today's Courier regarding a possible grammar being created in Sevenoaks, from an existing grammar in Tonbridge/Tunbridge Wells. This would be a way of getting round the Government's refusal to create more grammars.
cupcake

Post by cupcake »

although, I should add, will probably only benefit those still in nappies.......

Post by Guest »

Given the surplus school spaces in West Kent at the moment I would have thought that converting a secondary modern into a grammar would probably work better. This was very successfully done in Maidstone to create Invicta Grammar.

Of course, that is not likely to go down well with the labour backbenchers. But then, neither is funding the expansion of an existing grammar. Certainly not if you are to all intents and purposes creating a new school.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Invicta Grammar was NOT converted from a secondary modern school.

Under current government policy no expansion of grammar school places is possible (unless directed by an appeal panel).

If there were to be a Conservative Government, and if this week's policy of David Cameron were to rise to the top, a new Grammar School in Sevenoaks could be provided (as observed, for those currently in nappies).

However, it must be recognised that the purpose of a new grammar school would be to provide grammar school places for those West Kent children displaced from Kent grammar schools by high scoring children from East Sussex and the London Boroughs.

If the three West Kent grammar schools that select on high scores were to change to a geographical basis for selection, as applies in the rest of Kent, the problem would be solved overnight.
Man of Kent

Post by Man of Kent »

It is unlikely to happen (a Sevenoaks Grammar or even "campus") - the political obstacles are just too great. For starters, I think there would have to have a change of government (unlikely soon?!?). Even if or when that might happen (in many years time?), the Conservatives also now have concerns regarding Grammars vs social mobility. The local popularity of grammars with many people here in West Kent is simply not an issue for most of the UK general population; educationally our system here is seen to be in a time-warp "bubble" - long gone in most of the rest of the country - and thus has little impact on Westminster politics. Given that, in my opinion some more practical local politics are needed. 75% of our pupils are not in grammar schools. How about focussing on ensuring that the schools that cater for them get 75% of the political attention? Just a thought....
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now