New to the 11 plus

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
cindy

Post by cindy »

Hi there..

My son just got through on appeal and had no coaching, he was one point short.
Now that I have that behind me, my daughter is due to take hers now in Jan 2008.
I too wondered if this time I should use a tutor.. but was told by a freind who is using one, that she was asked by the turor, for her child to do 15mins a day of the appropriate books from WHSmiths, and only to do those that he finds
easy, and to put the tutors name against those that he found to hard, without attempting them. The tutor would then focus on these.
I dont know that I have the confidence to get this right, as I may not know the answers myself, however, I do know where to find the answers and then guide my daughter. Pehaps, like you, we we have a better idea once the SATs results are out? to see the weak areas........
Good Luck

Cindyx

Post by Guest »

[quote="Anonymous"]Patsy,
Kent schools (state anyway) aren't allowed to prepare children for the eleven plus. They will sit practice tests the week before the real thing but that's the lot.

You are quite right - this is the official version and was exactly what my daughter's primary school did. BUT...... we found out through friends at different primary schools that some of the schools in our area (Canterbury/ Herne Bay) spend the entire Autumn term 'tutoring' their Y6s for Kent Test. It might be called 'Homework Club' or 'Maths Puzzles' or some other euphemism but it definitely goes on! And there was me thinking it was a level playing field with all schools following the official policy. How naive am I? Fortunately DD got through but it certainly made me panic when I realised what was happening.
patsy

Post by patsy »

Thanks Cindy and Guest

After much deliberation I decided to visit a tutor for an assessment. SS spent 2 hours with her working through Maths, NVR and VR. The tutor (very nice both SS and I liked her instantly) I was told that with some work SS should not have any problems passing. The one main area that will need working on is NVR. This is not surprising as it was SS’s first introduction to these. I also spoke to her form tutor and was given a very similar view. So SS starts with the Tutor this weekend, we have also started some work at home on the NVR and she really enjoys them were as I’m just confused by them!!

Perhaps this is not what 11+ is about but after spending many hours reading this forum, and the fact that I don’t have the confidence to attempt to do this by myself, I decided that giving my daughter the best chance I can was the most important factor. If she were not to be successful I would at least know we had done everything to prepare.
Northkentmum

Post by Northkentmum »

Hi Patsy

It seems you are moving to my area of kent as the Grammar schools you mentioned are our local ones.

You have said you have a tutor, is this in Essex or Kent? The reason I ask is when you move to this area there is good 11+ tutoring that can be accessed by contacting Next Generation Health Club in Dartford (nothing to do with them but their premises are used)

I don't think this is advertising as you would have to contact health club and enquire yourself, if it is I'm sure I will be moderated :wink:

This year Gravesend Girls were advertising for pupils post 11+ and offering the chance of sitting an entrance exam for those who had not sat 11+, Willmington Girls also had places available post school allocation. Dartford Girls is harder to get a place as they select just the top % of 11+ passes. Good luck for your move................ just think you've now got Bluewater instead of Lakeside :D :D
NKM
patsy

Post by patsy »

Hi Northkent mum

Ever so sorry for the unforgivable delay in replying. It has been non stop what with the packing, tutors, and the endless end of school plays, choirs, parties, BBQ the list goes on. :

Anyway enough of my nonsense in answer to your question the tutor I found for SS is in North fleet Kent. So far SS is still OK about it all although sometimes she lacks confidence. We got her SATS results (mocks for year 5) and she got one 5 and two 4’s, this has pleased her and given her a little boost. :lol:

Just to say I gave up lakeside for Bluewater some time ago and have never looked back. Living around the corner is a definite benefit. :wink:

By the way has anyone got any idea on when the open days are likely to be in North Kent schools?

Post by Guest »

Patsy
Individual schools may give dates for open days on their websites. Failing that, they will all be listed in the secondary transfer booklet produced by KCC and sent to all year 6 pupils in early September. Primary school HTs also get lists for secondaries in their area at the start of next term.

The 2006/07 version is probably still available to view or download from the KCC wesite. This will tell you when the open days were last year; that should give you some idea of likely approximate dates this year. (The dates are at the top of each school's entry.)
thehorder

Only three choices available in Kent

Post by thehorder »

Hi Patsy, I have only just joined the site and found it interesting reading your posts. My daughter will be taking the 11+ in January and I find this site invaluable. The open days are all end of Sept. beg. of Oct. I find myself in a difficult position as living in Kent you only have three choices for schools, whereas places like Bexley have six. Although I want my daughter to take the Bexley Test I'm afraid I haven't the option to put one of their schools down. I am hoping for Dartford, and Wilmington but have to put down non selective just incase. My daughter is a probable pass according to her school. But her VR score is a little low, and as the Kent test is not cumulative, you have to pass each paper, it is worrying. Whereas in Bexley there test is cumulative and she willprobably stand a better chance. I feel I am in the worst postion as my daughter is on the good side of borderline so have to choose both level of schools. It is a lot easier when you make the decision not to take the selective test. Oh dear, just don't like my choices locally of non-selective. Anyway hopefully will get lots of advise from this site and she will go on to pass......
kentoo7

Post by kentoo7 »

Also preparing for the kent tests....how many are the papers?give more details...around dartford area...interested in the girls grammarschools.we can select only three choices.
kentoo7

Post by kentoo7 »

Also preparing for the kent tests....how many are the papers?give more details...around dartford area...interested in the girls grammarschools.we can select only three choices.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now