Skinners or TWGSB

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
confuseddad

Skinners or TWGSB

Post by confuseddad »

I am new to this forum but have been lurking for some time and have read other posts with interest. My DS passed the 11+ and did better than expected. His mark would have got a place at Skinners on appeal last year. We live within three miles of TWGSB and that was to be our choice if he passed. However, his good pass has got us thinking that Skinners might be a better choice as it has a smaller intake and a better academic record than TWGSB. My DS is not very self motivated at the moment, but he is a June birthday, and we worry that he may struggle academically at Skinners in the first couple of years and therefore lose even more motivation. I would welcome any advice from anyone who is or has been in a similar situation or has DS's at the schools in question.
tonbridgemum

Re: Skinners or TWGSB

Post by tonbridgemum »

hi there, welcome to the forum!
I have had a son at Judd and at TWGSB and I havent noticed any difference in the expectations of work in both schools.
Its not in the schools interest to see boys 'struggle' or fall behind so I have never noticed or heard of friends children getting 'left behind' in either school. My feeling at TWGSB is that they are trying hard to be like the SS and expect as much from the boys as the SS do.
My own opinion as far as you are concerned must be however how you feel about the school for your son. Did you get a good feel at Skinners? Did the teachers talk to your son -how did he find it? It may sound obvious but you are right not to assume just because he has got the marks for Skinners its right to send him there - it is more about what the school offers your son. What about sport? I gather Skinners is bigger on sport (epecially rugby - all boys do it most of the year I think, but at TWGSB they do it on a carousel basis).
Also clubs and subjects at GCSE- really worth looking at. TW offers things like resistant materials and graphics - if you think this is something your son might chose this might be something to consider. :) Good luck.
Redrobyn

Re: Skinners or TWGSB

Post by Redrobyn »

Totally agree with Tonbridgemum, what did you feel visiting the schools? and overall what would suit your son.
I understand that you may think that he is at an age that he needs stretching as is developing so quick which is fair enough but he sounds similar to my DS at TWGSB (Not very self motivated). The truth is you will never know, but what you do know better than anyone else is your DS. Know that, and you will know the right school for him.
Mine is at TWGSB for the record.
"She sets herself very low standards, which sadly, she constantly fails to meet"
"He has an eclectic collection of information at his disposal" ....i.e. He cheats by looking at others answers.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now