11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Jini

Re: 2013 takers!

Post by Jini »

Ok read the articles and other posts...feeling a bit better :wink:
Jini

Post by Jini »

I just thought I'll share this with you (if it's allowed on the forum!)

It's the ITV Tonight programmed aired last Thursday.
OK...25 hours a week of coaching for 11+ ? :shock:
3 years old attending Kumon :shock:
6 years old waking up at 6am for tutoring before going to school :shock:
I know we want the best for our children but please let us not rob them of their childhood! :(

http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=327517" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lurker

Post by lurker »

I saw that, it was horrendous, I couldn't believe what some of those children were being put through. No childhood .
Jini

Post by Jini »

Lurker totally agree...I was shocked to the core. I just couldn't believe it!!!
MadHatter

Post by MadHatter »

Sorry to panic you Jini, I should have posted the link with my comment. Glad you found the threads and can stop hyperventilating! With many children still passing the Kent test with little or no preparation, it seems to me the problem is not so much with the test itself but with the fact that several of the grammars in the north and west of the county are super selective or have a number of super selective places, with huge demand from a wide catchment, and a few other pockets where there is not enough provision. When a good or average pass for most DCs in that neck of the woods means having to appeal, attend a grammar miles away or attend the local non selective it's no wonder people are tutoring to the death in a quest for top marks.

Whether it's a tweak or a full-blown revamp, it might level the playing field for a year or so but where there's a need, people will always find a way.

Twinkle, I agree it's more stressful for us than for our DCs! I haven't said anything to DS either, there's no need at this point. But it does make me careful with the kind of prep we are doing. I'm trying to keep things as general as possible and trying to mix up the materials we are using so he doesn't become too used to particular types of questions or ways in which they are phrased. From that perspective I guess it is all to the good - my focus is on helping him fly at school this year as well as in the Kent test, and plugging the many gaping holes being left by his disappointingly average state primary. No 25 hours a week for us though, but DS is surprisingly happy to do 3 or 4 so I'm going with the flow.

Thankfully we're in an area where a straightforward pass will do the job and we're perfectly happy with the GS option that gives us. On the other hand, the options should he not pass are unthinkable. We would seriously be moving house pronto!
hopefulwoman

Re: 2013 takers! - Please help I need advice

Post by hopefulwoman »

My DD is a 2014 taker. I know not yet but I thought I had start early. We have ben working on timetables and division facts for sometime now. I started using the Bond books 8-9 which she has completed(using advice from this site - which I find very useful) I have now started the 9-10 but it is a bit difficult for her - I think. She only started the vr and she cannot finish a paper - 65 questions at a sitting. What is your advice. I am 'diying' myself. I thought the 9-10 is to hard and I dont want to push DD too much. I have out the maths 9-10 aside for now and concentrating on the basics whilst using the how to do books. This is helping we do this once a week. is this enough. VR 9-10 assessment papers once a week (but a paper is not completed at a sitting 65 questions!) and lots of reading. Lots of questions though - feedback is be appreciated.
theonly1

Post by theonly1 »

Hello Hopefulwoman,

Do not panic as you are on the right track with your little one. The ones that are difficult, give a clear and simple explanation to them with no pressure. Keep on revisiting until you are satisfied and then move on. Please remember to use reward ( be it stickers or whatever you feel is appropriate). Let it not bother you if a practice paper is not completed in one sitting or in good time. This will fall into place in good time and with practice. No pressure yet as you have started early and time is on your side. All the best in this journey.
MadHatter

Post by MadHatter »

Keep it simple and focus on the basics - times tables, mental maths, vocab and general reading. Have you tried the Bond 10-minute tests? They're bite sized and much less daunting than a full paper if you want to do some general stuff. Plenty of time to work on longer papers in Y5 - we've only just started and are still doing them in bite-sized chunks and no timing.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Hopefulwoman...my DD is a 2014 taker too ( can't believe I'm back in the loop again so soon :( ) and with 2 previous children passing, I would say papers at this stage is a bit early. The Bond books are great, but you really need to make sure the basics are well and truly covered, especially if the Kent Test is going to alter. I'm doing the same maths wise with my DD and then reading , spellings literacy wise. I did find with DS2 that there was a sickening moment when he was struggling through the maths word problems and I realised that he really wasn't up to scratch with some of the maths aspects. You can't run before you can walk !

( nice to meet you... :) )
hopefulwoman

Post by hopefulwoman »

Thank you all for your feedback. Can you advice how many minutes a day is OK. I am now doing about 45 minutes a day to do the papers - vr. Even though I got the maths paper 9-10 she is not doing this yet but rather we are working through the topics in the bond maths how to do. about an hour over the weekend.