Knole Academy Grammar Stream

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Redrobyn

Re: Knole Academy Grammar Stream

Post by Redrobyn »

My son was offered a place at Knole for this years intake after he easily passed the 11+, as he lived too far from TWGSB and yet he fell into the no-mans land of a good score but no good for Skinners or Judd.
I have also heard that Knole had been very coy to say the least on just how many in their grammar stream had passed last time around. Also... and pay attention at the back.....Knole only offered that particular stream to be guaranteed for two years, but did not specify what then. It was a key bit of info for appeal purposes, and now my DS1 goes to TWGSB. I have no axe to grind with Knole or the children their but the head is in a tricky situation. On the one hand trying to appeal to the more academically inclined whilst still retaining a "downer" on grammar school systems. I do not envy her position.
As far as TWGSB is concerned they can only offer an extra class when the current expanded year moves up into the upper part of the school, freeing up resources and such like for the next batch of Yr7's. As this took place for this years intake its unlikely that it will happen again for several years.
"She sets herself very low standards, which sadly, she constantly fails to meet"
"He has an eclectic collection of information at his disposal" ....i.e. He cheats by looking at others answers.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Is that for definite? Have the head and governors said that in writing? Would an independent appeals panel agree?
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

Redrobyn wrote:As far as TWGSB is concerned they can only offer an extra class when the current expanded year moves up into the upper part of the school, freeing up resources and such like for the next batch of Yr7's. As this took place for this years intake its unlikely that it will happen again for several years.
Thanks for that information Redrobyn re TWGSB extra class.

In reality, how many places will this mean for people appealing if they don't have the extra class, and how would this then affect the appeals process and appeals panel decisions?

PS. does anyone have any information that Bennett Memorial has a grammar stream?
Redrobyn

Post by Redrobyn »

Have Pm'd you Villagedad in response to your PM
"She sets herself very low standards, which sadly, she constantly fails to meet"
"He has an eclectic collection of information at his disposal" ....i.e. He cheats by looking at others answers.
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

The current year 10's at TWGSB are also an extra class as well as the year 7's. This puts on a huge strain on classrooms and availabilty - my son (year 10) says its not unusual to have a double booked room..
mystery, I know a couple of teachers there. They say the head would not be up for another class again this year because of the pressures on sizes. however, of course in two years time when the year 10's move on I can see it may well be a matter of course they take 7 forms instead of 6 since they can obviously 'cope' with two 'extra' classes in the school at a time.
Mind you, we all know about appeal panals. Anything can happen. :shock:
jaymum

Post by jaymum »

Why on earth couldn't someone have got the Sevenoaks Grammar up and running by now and ready for Sept 2013? It would save us all a lot of stress!!
Redrobyn

Post by Redrobyn »

In my humble, I think if there wasnt distractions from the Christian school it may well have happened by now. However even though constant annual crisis by people in the area trying to get to a feasible grammar seems to be the real problem, the Christian School people are well connected. Thats my take but I do not remember one letter to the paper or school gate talk regarding the awful lack of Christian School places, only Grammar ones.
I hope my Chritian friends 'forgive' me for saying they rather did an un-Christian thing and hijacked the situation. Sorry, and I may be wrong but thats how I feel.
I just hope KCC arent paying lip service to it all and cobbling together something less than satisfatory when (Not "if") the Grammar School comes.
As a side issue I have an excellent idea for a Grammar school governor! :wink:
bristols

Post by bristols »

Hijacking the lack of grammar school places for their own ends is exactly what the Christian school did. This had the effect of alienating a lot of Sevenoaks parents who are now pushing much harder for the Sevenoaks grammar school (which was always needed) than they would otherwise have done.

This alienation is even more pronounced following the Christians' ultimately doomed attempt to hijack the old Wildernesse School site for their school, as this is the KCC-owned site that is being earmarked for the KCC grammar school (if the recent rumours are true, following the KCC leader's recent TV interview about the grammar school plan).