Kent GS selection 2012

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

Re: Kent GS selection 2012

Post by mystery »

Just as there is tutoring and tutoring, there are grammars and grammars, and there are primary schools and primary schools.
Ernestdad

Post by Ernestdad »

Why do we all clammer for Grammar schools?
Three simple reasons:
1. They are free but their attainment levels are equal if not better than PSs.
2. They have a more rounded curriculum, allowing children to grow in confidence and reach their potential.
3. Generally the child who attends and their parents care about their education and have shared values and believe in respect, hard work and self improvement. This is reflected in strong PTA's and a common sense of purpose.

Britain would be a far better place if we had maintained the grammar school system.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Only if your children are successful in gaining a place. Otherwise of course it wouldn't be a better place. :D
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

State primaries may glance at these tests all too briefly as it does not form part of the curriculum.
Kent primaries are not allowed to tutor or practice for the test.
Ernestdad

Post by Ernestdad »

I am increasingly confused and concerned about reported scores achieved for Kent's 11+, if speculation is right :

*882 children out of 11451 scored > or = 420 and 662 children scored 423 in 2012.
*589 children scored 420 in 2011.

This is quite a remarkable increase of 49.7% and would mean to get children into SS grammar this year would need a 420. To try and get this confirmed I have submitted a freedom of information request to KCC yesterday.

Kent Admissions

Could I formally make a freedom of information request to supply the number of children from inside Kent county and outside who scored the following eleven + scores of 414, 415, 416, 417, 418, 419 and 420 in 2011 and 414, 415, 416, 417, 418, 419, 420, 421, 422 and 423 in 2012.

I received the following reply today:

Thank you for your email below, which was originally received by kent.admissions@kent.gov.uk on 5th November 2012. Because you have requested information falling under the scope of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (FOIA) your request has been forwarded to me to co-ordinate on behalf of the Council. This is to comply with the procedures that the County Council has for dealing with all FOIA requests.

Assuming KCC holds this information, we will endeavour to supply the data to you as soon as possible but no later than 3rd December 2012 (20 working days from date of receipt).

We will advise you as soon as possible if we do not hold this information or if there are exemptions to be considered and/or any costs for providing the information. Please quote our reference - FOI/**/**** - in any communication regarding this particular request.

Best regards

Laura Pronger
Information Access Officer
Information Resilience & Transparency Team
Business Strategy & Support, Governance & Law
Kent County Council, Room 2.71, Sessions House, County Road, Maidstone, ME14 1XQ.

As soon as I get the reply I will post it and should answer a few questions.
OOCmum

Post by OOCmum »

Ernestdad wrote:I am increasingly confused and concerned about reported scores achieved for Kent's 11+, if speculation is right :

*882 children out of 11451 scored > or = 420 and 662 children scored 423 in 2012.
*589 children scored 420 in 2011.

This is quite a remarkable increase of 49.7% and would mean to get children into SS grammar this year would need a 420. To try and get this confirmed I have submitted a freedom of information request to KCC yesterday.

Kent Admissions

Could I formally make a freedom of information request to supply the number of children from inside Kent county and outside who scored the following eleven + scores of 414, 415, 416, 417, 418, 419 and 420 in 2011 and 414, 415, 416, 417, 418, 419, 420, 421, 422 and 423 in 2012.

I received the following reply today:

Thank you for your email below, which was originally received by kent.admissions@kent.gov.uk on 5th November 2012. Because you have requested information falling under the scope of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (FOIA) your request has been forwarded to me to co-ordinate on behalf of the Council. This is to comply with the procedures that the County Council has for dealing with all FOIA requests.

Assuming KCC holds this information, we will endeavour to supply the data to you as soon as possible but no later than 3rd December 2012 (20 working days from date of receipt).

We will advise you as soon as possible if we do not hold this information or if there are exemptions to be considered and/or any costs for providing the information. Please quote our reference - FOI/**/**** - in any communication regarding this particular request.

Best regards

Laura Pronger
Information Access Officer
Information Resilience & Transparency Team
Business Strategy & Support, Governance & Law
Kent County Council, Room 2.71, Sessions House, County Road, Maidstone, ME14 1XQ.

As soon as I get the reply I will post it and should answer a few questions.

Fantastic question, thank you so much for sharing, with a DS scoring in the 400 'teens' zone, I am very very interested to learn the scores!
anotherworriedmum

Post by anotherworriedmum »

Looking forward, with some trepidation, to the scores too. I know children with 423 and children with 4-mid-teens but no-one with anything in between so will be very interested to see the reply.
theonly1

Post by theonly1 »

Hello all,

1st day back from Spain after a much deserved rest. I have just logged on amd must say this conversation regarding tutoring is interesting and has always been a bone for contention. I personally believe that a child doing the 11+ has to be given support that commensurates that child's ability. I have always considered it wise to provide tuition at a suitable level for my child to make his education smooth and hitch free. I send my son to Kumon for the discipline and mentality towards learning that it provides and msut say that my child will always attempt any subject and has a CAN DO attitude as a result of this. He was doing 2 hours every weekend with a tutor from 11 months to the 11+ exam as some of the questions are Yr 7 level and it will be unwise not to give him the required support.

Whilst tuition can be expensive, it can also be provided by parents who can do so. An admission into a GS does not mean a child will no longer require support. It is a tough world out there and you must always strive to hold your own. I salute every parent on this forum as you are an inspiration to so many and have indirectly contributed to the success of so many through sharing of information. Let us continue to do the best for our children.
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

theonly1 wrote:
I send my son to Kumon for the discipline and mentality towards learning that it provides and msut say that my child will always attempt any subject and has a CAN DO attitude as a result of this. He was doing 2 hours every weekend with a tutor from 11 months to the 11+ exam as some of the questions are Yr 7 level and it will be unwise not to give him the required support.
Initially I read this as saying that the DS began tutoring at 11months :shock: That would definitely be a record :)

But I now realise it means 11 months leading up to the exam!
West Kent Mum

Post by West Kent Mum »

I've heard from various sources that 412 was score after waiting list for Skinners last year (maybe the 407 was an appeal??).
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now