St Olaves vs DGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kingsgen

Re: St Olaves vs DGS

Post by kingsgen »

MaverickAuthor wrote:Glad your DS is happy at Olave's, wish ours was. Head does have zero policy to indiscipline but isn't working as pupils have no respect for him. Check out his background - he lasts 3 years at a school then moves on - his choice or theirs? Check out his rating on various websites - if you can find a positive word about him by ex pupils or teachers you're doing better than we are. We looked going private - now dearly wish we had. Unfortunately most parents seem happy their children have got to St. Olave's and so seem willing (at least publicly) to accept failings - you can raise issues with the school but in our experience they are treated as an affront.
We've no problem with young teachers but are finding quality of teaching is falling.
We made a mistake sending our DS to this school - doesn't mean everyone will find themselves in the same position - no doubt some parents are happy.
We would still have chosen it as based on the information we had at the time it was the best choice - hindsight is a wonderful thing!
If your son is happy then you probably have no reason to move him - we're looking at the present and the future and we want to get out before things get (even) worse.
Marverick,
As a parent, It is sad to hear that your son is not happy in SO. I hope and pray that your son's issues will be sorted out quickly so that it will not affect his GCSE performance. This will give him the opportunity to try a private or another school like DGS for his Sixth form. The honest truth is that I live 5 mins from DGS and I know parents who are not happy with DGS as well. They have their older children in the school but they are looking else where because they felt the standard of teaching and academic as a whole is falling there compare to when their older children started or were in the school. Three of the parents' children have to travel to Orpington every morning from Dartford. My son's leaves home early so that he can catch up with some of these children either on the train or bus as some also travel with bus 51 from Woolwich, Welling, Belvedere. Some of these children's older siblings attended DGS or attending DGS. Mind you, they are from different cultures, race and colours. As I am writing I know a parent whose son is in year 5 who told me that his son will not go to DGS.

I read about the commentaries about the S.O head from his ex students but due to my experience in schools I have visited for my pre training observations and teaching practises in Grammar schools and comprehensive schools, it is difficult for me to agree with some of their comments. Secondly, my experience with my daughter's primary school near Brixton in South London made it difficult for me to believe what some students and teachers write about their heads. I am not saying the heads are without their own faults but the objectivities of some comments are doubtful. Similar things happened to Rochester Grammar some years ago which was circulated by the press but the head is still there and the school is better now than before this problem and waxing stronger in fact the head of RGS is now an executive HT. I am honestly hoping that the pastoral issues could be sorted out soon as it is very important in schools. It creates the right environment and climate for a very good academic performances and help the students to receive comprehensive education.

In regards of young teachers, it is serious problem at the moment. I am in my late forty, worked both in the corporate (private) sector and public sector, with PG degrees and professional certificates, I can tell you that my experience during PGCE was nothing to write home about. There are many young graduates that are teachers that I feel sorry for the children they are teaching. During PGCE, teachers are taught theories of education some are very difficult to practise in today's school climate and some of the teachers went into universities with NVQ, BTEC etc. Some do not have a sound subject knowledge of their subjects, some lack passion for teaching. To some, it is a job while to some it is a calling. Some good private schools do not need PGCE and they are doing well as they employ people with good subject knowledge and passion for the work. Thank God Michael Gove have allowed some state schools now to start employing teachers without PGCE but with a very good subject knowledge and practical experience. If these group of teachers can transfer and impact knowledge with pastoral care, that will be great as that is what we need from my personal opinion.

I am hoping that you will find help for your son and other parents will find help for their sons as well. We are working hard to give a better future for our children and it is very sad if they are not happy where they are and if our hard working is not yielding the right result.

I have been disturb all evening as result of what I read about St. Olave's and I lost my sleep as well. I prepared children who will be going to the school in September and I am preparing some other ones who are going to write the test next year. I do not want any of these children to have any bad experience, as bad experience in school can affect children's future in life. I have been victim of this in my post secondary school life so I do understand the issue very well. Now that it is in public domain and forum, somebody from somewhere will soon pick it up and draw the attention of the school governors to it.
MaverickAuthor

Post by MaverickAuthor »

:?: :!:
Last edited by MaverickAuthor on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ernestdad

Post by Ernestdad »

If you want to know the character of St Olaves HT read the article below from the local newspaper.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/broml ... _to_leave/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

15 Oct 2012 – Disgruntled members of the 3rd Orpington Scout Group outside their hut ... What a disgusting, mean-spirited school St Olave's is, talk about having .... others in a position to block this plan will review the previous netball court ...
Last edited by Ernestdad on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lefol

Post by lefol »

I have read several comments about st olaves on this website and on others - I just hope the governors sort out the problem before it gets worse . Most schools have issues - I have ds1 in an independent school and ds2 in a grammar , the indies also have issues from time to time. I am really sorry to hear about the problems your DS has experienced and truly hope they get resolved or you can find a decent alternative.
Justaparent

Post by Justaparent »

After reading the largely negative comments about St. Olave's I regrettably have to agree that the majority are true. The school seems to be heading headfirst towards disaster.
We have had dealings with the school and you are made to feel you or your child must be in the wrong - there is definitely an air of denial about the place.
They don't seem able to handle criticism - I do wonder if its to do with the number of new teachers who probably joined thinking they were joining the best grammar school in the world, not as it seems the personal fiefdom of the head.
Our DS joined with us thinking how lucky we were - how wrongly we judged the deck!
Put up and shut up are the order of the day - there have always been rumours of underlying bullying at Olave's (and yes it is a boys school so you expect it).
Pastoral care - what's that?

Onac - well there's no smoke without fire - ask those who have to deal with the man.

Sad! Sad! Sad!
Manicmummyme

Post by Manicmummyme »

Like many I've looked at posts but never felt the need to write anything myself.
Seeing the negative comments about St. Olaves shames me into wishing I'd voiced an opinion sooner.
We have DS at Olaves and DD at Newstead - lucky indeed some will say.
I have to say both schools have issues but Newstead at least seem aware of them and do, though not always successfully I must say, try and address them.
As someone else has said single sex schools are often associated with bullying and the two schools are no different so be aware of it if you chose either of them.
DS won't make 6th form at Olaves as like many of his friends he feels school has changed to somewhere he doesn't want to be.
Hopefully he might get into Newstead sixth form but if not makes his time at Olaves almost seem wasted.
DS says the soul of the school has gone and he firmly blames new head - kids call him gash Onac - if you pronounce his name properly you'll get the joke.
He got a real telling off for that but privately we see his point.
I just hope some governors or parents have the inclination to do what many of us haven't and make things right!
Choose wisely - when all is looked at it isn't just about the grades.
kingsgen

Post by kingsgen »

Manicmummyme wrote:Like many I've looked at posts but never felt the need to write anything myself.
Seeing the negative comments about St. Olaves shames me into wishing I'd voiced an opinion sooner.
We have DS at Olaves and DD at Newstead - lucky indeed some will say.
I have to say both schools have issues but Newstead at least seem aware of them and do, though not always successfully I must say, try and address them.
As someone else has said single gender schools are often associated with bullying and the two schools are no different so be aware of it if you chose either of them.
DS won't make 6th form at Olaves as like many of his friends he feels school has changed to somewhere he doesn't want to be.
Hopefully he might get into Newstead sixth form but if not makes his time at Olaves almost seem wasted.
DS says the soul of the school has gone and he firmly blames new head - kids call him gash Onac - if you pronounce his name properly you'll get the joke.
He got a real telling off for that but privately we see his point.
I just hope some governors or parents have the inclination to do what many of us haven't and make things right!
Choose wisely - when all is looked at it isn't just about the grades.
Hopefully many parents will come out with their different experiences. This will help the governors to do something and the PTA attention will be drawn to it as well but we need more parents to speak out.
I have heard of the Newstead problems for years now but it is good they are dealing with it. It is been there for a while but with more problem in Sixth form. Students progression and transition into higher education are not given equal attention and opportunities. Parents should know what references they are writing about their children including predicted grades.
Jiff

Post by Jiff »

Don't forget that parents can also complete the Ofsted Parent View questionnaire. Interesting response to the question on whether the school is well led and managed.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Parent view is disappointing.
Jiff

Post by Jiff »

It's not ideal, but it does at least give parents an opportunity to feed in their views on some of the issues raised here, eg bullying, leadership.