SCAF panic...help

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
U400JB9

SCAF panic...help

Post by U400JB9 »

Now, as many of you know, DD2 didn`t pass the Kent Test and we are appealling.

What order do I put the schools in on the SCAF

On my appeal thread, Etienne said the put the grammars first and second, and the non selective school third.

The non selective school is a church school, and does its own admissions....I have no idea how this works, and whether or not that means they will know where I put them on my form :?

Then, to confuse my tiny mind even more the HT says I must put the church school first and the grammars after......does this then affect me being able to appeal??

I`ve been hiding in Doodles bucket since results day, and am now panicking..... :(

If this is already covered somewhere can I have a linky thingy please :oops:
Belinda

Re: SCAF panic...help

Post by Belinda »

"Does its own admissions"

If it's going on your SCAF, then it can't 'do them' anymore, or less, than all the schools on your SCAF?

It clearly has its own selection criteria, but don't all schools?

Without knowing exactly what you mean by 'does its own admissions' I couldn't advise you confidently, but to me it would appear Etienne has advised your correctly and the school not. However you do need to seek clarification and I would advise you contact the church school and KCC and ask directly, at what stage, if any, does the church school know what order you placed schools on the SCAF. AND... what bearing has this on meeting selection criteria. Ask specific questions from them.

I'm lead to believe that you have a right to appeal for any school listed on your SCAF, wherever it is placed.

Always list schools in your true order of preference but... you do need to find out what "does its own admissions" means.

Check, double check, triple check - with a variety of sources. Start with the church school in question, KCC, any parents of pupils at the church school in question, ask your primary school to justify the advice given and why they say to list the church school first. Don't just accept what someone says. Ask WHY - what is their reasoning behind their advice.
Best wishes.
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

Thank you

The church school has an entrance exam for non- church goers, and, obviously, gives prioirty to church goers. I have assumed, as it has its own exam it has more say than the other schools over who it takes.....

I am just panicking, and you have reinforced what I thought I knew...just HT`s comment threw me.....but I am going with the majoirty.

Thank you again...feeling better now :oops: :oops:
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

It would seem then that the entrance exam for non church goers is part of its overall 'selection criteria' - again, no more or less, than other schools 'selection criteria'.
If a student meets the criteria and the parents have listed that school first, you will be offered that school. You obviously know you will not be offered the grammars. This just means your third choice becomes your first choice and its whether you meet the selction criteria for that school, not where it was on the SCAF to start with.

Listing the grammars first and second, in true preference, even though you will not get them in March means that when you come to appeal they will be there in black and white as your first and second choice. How much weight this ultimately has at appeal... I don't know, but should the info 'come out', at least you know your true preference is there in black and white for all to see at any future grammar appeal.
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

Thank you.......

Tis done :shock: , Grammars 1st and 2nd, Church school 3rd.....

and again we wait :( :(
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

So are you leaving your 4th choice empty U400JB9?

It leaves you with just one possible school on allocation. By the sound of what you have written it looks like the church school gets oversubscribed too so adding a 4th choice gives you at least 2 possible choices on allocation.
Impossible is Nothing.
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

I am, there isn`t a 4th school I`d send her too.....the local comp is dire...OH says we`d home tutor rather than send her there....
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

sherry_d wrote:So are you leaving your 4th choice empty U400JB9?

It leaves you with just one possible school on allocation. By the sound of what you have written it looks like the church school gets oversubscribed too so adding a 4th choice gives you at least 2 possible choices on allocation.
BUT I have now gone and put a choice 4 in.....one she could swing a place at on her musical ability, but further afield.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Good - do you stand a chance of a place there though? Unless you really want to home educate you should be putting down a school that you really will get a place at, and that you could grin and bear if necessary. Otherwise you end up travelling miles to a school which no-one in the universe wanted, and appealing from the scary basis of having a place at a school that you really don't want.

Which church school has an entrance exam? That's a novel one isn't it?
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

30 places offered on academic merit. rest go to church goers. At the open evening the HT did say, due to the low cohort in the area it is likely all children will get a place from the waiting list this year, and did indeed last year. He`s even increasing the number of places offered to Non church children. And we are in catchment. We have a letter from the local reverend saying her church primary is indeed an excellent church primary and has an outstanding OFSTED for religious education......every little bit.

Choice 4 has this year altered its admission criteria and we do fit..

We appealed for DD1 having turned down the dire local comp. Not ideal I know but I really wouldn`t send my arch ememy there.