Bennett Memorial Reserved places-help with definition please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tigger2

Bennett Memorial Reserved places-help with definition please

Post by tigger2 »

I would appreciate anyones advice with regard the 5 reserved places for Year 7 at Bennett Memorial. My conversation with admissions last week was not exactly straightforward and I need some help .....

The criteria for Reserved places is :

1 Up to 5 places will be offered to children in exceptionally challenging personal or family circumstances.
Medical, health, social and special access reasons will be applied in accordance with the school’s legal
obligations, including those under the Equality Act 2010. Those children with a mental or physical
impairment which gives them a demonstrable and significant need to attend this particular school will
qualify, as will children of parents with similar impairments. To qualify, claims will need to be
supported by written evidence from a suitably qualified medical or other practitioner and the evidence
will need to demonstrate a special connection between the needs of the child or parent and Bennett

Last week Dh was told by admissions that this does not include dc's with Sen. We have been told this before but am I right in thinking that this is not correct according to this paragraph? Any views would be appreciated!

Many thanks
Tigger
mystery

Re: Bennett Memorial Reserved places-help with definition pl

Post by mystery »

I would take it as applying to some quite complex need rather than say a specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia, dyspraxia, dysgraphia, ADD, ADHD etc. However, as the definitions and causes of these things are all so vague the interpretation of this paragraph is too.

It looks like it's worth doing a good application for one of these .......... even if it's unsuccessful it's half your appeal work done in advance.
tigger2

Re: Bennett Memorial Reserved places-help with definition pl

Post by tigger2 »

Mystery...thank you ! I agree that it is a very 'broad' statement but the wording doesn't exclude Sen does it? :?
I looked at the Special Educational needs act which says:

The Special Educational Needs (SEN) Disability Act (2001) defines a disabled person as 'someone who has a physical or mental impairment which has an affect on his or her ability to carry out normal day to day activities'. ‘A mental impairment' is defined as including ‘hidden impairments' e.g. dyslexia.

You are right...it is well worth having a try..so try I will. I had a nightmare last night....I am possibly going to be appealing for both dc's next Spring..the nightmare was that I successfully appealed for each dc ..but for the wrong school! :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now