Kent GS selection 2012 - Restarted

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

committed

Re: Kent GS selection 2012 - Restarted

Post by committed »

Ernestdad wrote:Discussing options with DW, if predictions are correct, we are going to appeal for Judd. The standardisation adjustment was not meant to result in this outcome, KCC expected normal 420 scores to simply be spread out between the 420 and 423 range and not to have a 46% increase in children achieving scores in the range.

You’re absolutely right to appeal if Judd is the school your DS wants, but your appeal needs to be based on academic evidence that your son underperformed on the day and reasons why Judd is the best school for him, rather than based on the new maximum score.

I think people made an early assumption that the changes wouldn’t make any difference to the absolute score required – and KCC may have inadvertently supported that view. However if you look at things on a relative basis nothing has changed and if you add up the total number of children who achieved the top 5 scores this year and last, they are identical. The score required to get into your chosen school, as with every year, needs to be viewed on a relative basis versus all the other scores achieved who want a place at the same school. For Judd last year you needed to be within 3 of the highest mark available (within 2 on the first round), the previous year it was within four of the highest mark (three on the first round).

The good news for you is that you have a heads up in advance of March, so that you can start gathering all the information you need in advance of a likely appeal, but I would be very reluctant to blame the new scores if you do end up having to go down the appeal route. You need to prove your individual case, rather than complain about a system change that affected everyone in the same way.

Best of luck.
Ernestdad

Post by Ernestdad »

Committed I appreciate the advice, you are quite correct standardisation was fair as every child sat the same tests. It's just regrettable that you have a score in your head for your no.1 choice and KCC change the mechanism. Living in Orpington I know the chance of DS getting Judd with a score of 418 this year is slim to none, will have to determine if it is worth appealing, as statistically winning is against the odds.
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Ernest Dad, if it's the school that your son wants then it is always worth appealing. If you don't try you will never know....oft repeated on here but it is true. Yes it can be stressful and very emotional at times but even if you don't win you will know that you tried.

Committed is absolutely spot on ..I will be amazed if the scores on the first round don't increase by 3 points for the ss gs in west kent. There is absolutely no point in criticising the 'system' at appeal hearings. We all know it is not perfect and you have to bear in mind that the data that we all rely on is historic. KCC are able to twizzle the numbers year on year so we never quite know what is going to happen ...we can take a guess but that is about it. Taking a swipe at the system at a hearing never works because Committed is quite right...we are all in the same boat and the panel isn't there to make a judgment about the system ..they are there to decide outcomes for appeals and they want to see the reasons for wanting that school and strong academic evidence.

Tigger
committed

Post by committed »

Ernestdad wrote:It's just regrettable that you have a score in your head for your no.1 choice and KCC change the mechanism.
The change of scores and the lack of information has been horrible this year and has compounded an already fraught process. It really didn't help that there was so much confusion about the impact of the changes early on - and that everyone had a fixed idea of what was needed, only for the goalposts to shift.

I do hope that we're both wrong and that 418 is enough to secure a place on allocation, but if it isn't then you should still appeal as you never know and in previous years kids have got in with scores of c410 on appeal (it also helps if you're good at rugby or cricket!).
DaddyOh

Post by DaddyOh »

Ernestdad wrote:Committed I appreciate the advice, you are quite correct standardisation was fair as every child sat the same tests. It's just regrettable that you have a score in your head for your no.1 choice and KCC change the mechanism. Living in Orpington I know the chance of DS getting Judd with a score of 418 this year is slim to none, will have to determine if it is worth appealing, as statistically winning is against the odds.

Agreed this change isn't unfair in terms of ranking but has been exceedingly badly handled and I know some people who have been on a completely unnecessary roller coaster ride because of it.

I don't understand why KCC doesn't just give a percentile ranking for children. The results would be far more easily understandable than the present system and the cut-off percentiles for schools would be far more likely to relatively stable from year to year.

I can only guess that by giving obscure scores rather than a ranking KCC are hoping to hide from people the reality that the 11+ is all about comparing children against each other.

DaddyOh
Ernestdad

Post by Ernestdad »

Received dreaded e-mail at 5.42pm DS got Judd, yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! :D

DS will be going to Judd with his best friend who is our neighbours/friends DS, it's worked out perfect.

Hope it worked out for the rest of you.