2014 takers!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sally-Anne

Re: 2014 takers!

Post by Sally-Anne »

mystery wrote:It might be sensible, but is it inevitable? Isn't it subject to some kind of public sector procurement exercise
Yes, but that doesn't have to be conducted publicly.
surely GL Assessment would not want to lose out a big county like Kent if they could possibly avoid it?
I am sure they wouldn't, but my antennae say that they have done. The wording is so reminiscent of the CEM's own wording that I feel it has gone beyond the possibility of a coincidence.
Also, aren't some Kent grammars academies? They don't have to use whatever KCC decides to go with.
No, they don't have to, but as we have seen in Bucks, I think there would be considerable support from the academies for a unified testing process at 11+. No one wants the process to fragment in a way that forces children to take multiple entrance tests.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Where is the press release on which today's DMV article is based? I'm sure you could be right Sally, but it's similar to wording used by the site that cannot be mentioned months ago. also it does not included writing or teacher assessment thank goodness, but the article sounds as though the review is open minded and still ongoing .... But of course it may always have been a foregone conclusion. Is cem as cheap as gl assessment?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Seem to be plenty of clues about how to prepare for cem on this website. Time to buy shares in cem? Pain as had just bought my gl practice papers. Your antennae sound well tuned in Sally.
JLT

Post by JLT »

My DD will be taking Kent test in 2014. My DS has just entered year 7 at GS. He had a tutor to help him pass the Kent Test and despite the fact that he was doing brilliantly at primary school, I'm not convinced he would have passed without our help. He is now doing really well at GS which proves that not all tutored kids struggle when they get to grammar school, a lot depends on what their primary school do to prepare them. My DS was doing maths at the end of Y6 that featured in the KT. My friends with kids at private school were doing the same maths in year 5 so were clearly at an advantage. My real worry with the possible changes to the test, is that children at private school will continue to have an advantage and children at poorer performing state schools will no longer have the chance to achieve more. This is after all a Kent test for Kent state schools, so surely the curriculum should then cover what is in the test?
kentmum2011

Post by kentmum2011 »

DS is a 2014 taker... can't believe it's next year!

Nothing too formal happening here. We have some Bond 10 minute test books that we used with DD, he's done a bit here and there. He gets extra maths homework already from school, he loves to read and we're encouraging a variety of texts so think that's enough to keep him going for now. Easter time I think we may step up a gear.
ardvark

Post by ardvark »

hello, newby and first timer here. We are just thinking about what should be doing and how we are going to do it lol! DD does a fair bit of year 5 work and tests with school already which I guess is a good thing, but lost as to how to help her improve and retain her knowledge. I guess we need some work books etc now.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Hi :D I was just about to reply to your other thread! There's lots of good info and advice on here, just needs a lot of trawling through the threads! There are sections across the top about specific areas and subjects plus the rather long thread from 2012 takers. It depends how the test will change, which we don't know any info about yet.

My DD is also in year 4 and I have two boys who have passed..feel I know what to do now, so am a bit annoyed if they do change it. I'm just getting her up to speed with mental maths, reading, vocabulary and comprehension. I do have the Bond books for vr and nvr left over from the boys, so she occasionally does some questions from there. Your dd sounds bright, .so with the right prep I'm sure will be fine.

Pleased to meet you!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Kcc is going out to tender in 2013 for the tests for 2014 onwards.
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

mystery wrote:Kcc is going out to tender in 2013 for the tests for 2014 onwards.
Any thoughts on the timetable i.e. when it will be put out to tender this year and when we'll know who the provider is / what the test will be?
mystery

Post by mystery »

No - someone needs to ask kcc about dates. Also, maybe when the advert is placed it should be possible to read the spec?