West Kent 11plus results school by school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

Re: West Kent 11plus results school by school

Post by mystery »

Yep, and my school is in there with the worst of them.

Some of the stats are wrong - e.g. the year 6 class size at some of the private schools is not correct e.g. Combe Bank
anotherworriedmum

Post by anotherworriedmum »

Amherst School 96 86 63
Does not help that that is the top one, its all downhill after that!

Like you we are in the middle with a single figure passing this year, which is the same as it has been year on year. All the children who passed were tutored either externally or by their parents so I wonder if that is the case across the board. Have done a quick mental calculation with my bad geography and there would seem to be lots of children trying for those SS schools. I wonder if we are going to have a repeat of last years' issues?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, well all the candidates at our school, and more besides, were tutored privately but we are still have the lowest possible score without being zero.

Tutoring can be to perfect technique and / or for plugging gaps. I guess if it is all spent on the latter it's hard to get a pass. Maybe our year group was not the usual West Kent spread of abilities but this feels unlikely.
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

Private school passes are high. Interesting reading.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes Derwent Lodge is high. And somewhere on here or somewhere else there was another FOI answer which showed that Derwernt Lodge sent a considerable number of girls to TOGS which is superselective, so not only do they get high rate of passes there, they get a high rate of very high passes. I don't know what the magic ingredient is.
West Kent Mum

Post by West Kent Mum »

Interesting figures! Thank you for posting it.

It seems as the statistics is not correct for the private schools (at least for the 5 private schools I know well): Total number of Y6 children is in-correct, what you see is number taking +11 and the passes.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Independent school figure relate to the number who sat the test. KCC will not have figures for the whole y6 cohort. Yes indies usually score very high marks perhaps for SS. Someone send me breakdown for 405+ and schools like Holmewood House have almost all the passes at 405+.

There isn't anything unusual about the high pass rate, its just what it is. Its not just 11+, look at GCSE and A levels and Universities for almost any region. There are about 20 state schools out of 100 by GCSE /A level results and it gets worse as the years go by as the gap becomes even greater.
Impossible is Nothing.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes but there are some poor independents too. With the good ones the gap you point out is scary I agree. And it's not that easily accounted for. I think it must be higher expectations all round, and more work.

At some schools you are in danger of being reported to social services if you hope that your child will do well.
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

I am not surprised but I do find it depressing that there is such a wide gap between indie schools and state schools. Knowing a few parents with children at indies ...I have a foot now in both the state and indie camps I would be very interested to hear any opinions as to why this is....I am sure that smaller class sizes are part of it but when comparing my dd's state school class to the same year group at ds's indie school one obvious difference is that they don't have teachers for each subject at state schools and of course state schools must be bound by government targets in a way that private schools dont have to . Our local primary school is very open in saying that they only care about end of ks1 and ks2 NC levels because that is how they are judged. There are no reasoning clubs to help year 5 pupils prepare for the test and no support or guidance for the 11+ at all .In an area where for boys there is one gs and two ss gs I am not surprised that parents aim for as high a score as possible. From what I have heard from parents at indie schools they seem to get better guidance at the likelihood of achieving a pass (might not be the same everywhere though) and there is definitely more 11+ work for those taking it. I think that it might be likely that fewer children at an indie will take the test if they are thought unlikely to pass but at state schools there can be (well definitely in our case) such a lack of information that everyone seems to go for tutoring 'just in case' there could be a pass. Certainly the problem that I can see at our primary is that with the majority of children being intensively tutored in year 5 maths scores do improve and then at the end of ks2 the ht is walking on air boasting about the number of level 6's achieved. This does not give a true picture of maths teaching at our primary but with such great results nothing will be done about the poor teaching in other years at the school. Sorry for veering off topic but I am grateful to have a rant today :lol: I will shuffle off now......
mystery

Post by mystery »

Looking at the 11plus list the "gap" is not just about state versus independent, but state versus state .... e.g. take Amherst and look at some schools geographically close to it .. the difference has to be something to do with teaching, and maybe also intake.

Some independent preps do incredibly well with a very high proportion of their intake ... in my personal experience it's down to:

- "selection" - Ok they don't sit true entrance tests at 4 but children with real "difficulties" are weeded out, as are the parents

- hard graft - on the part of the teachers, the children and the parents - not necessarily longer hours in lessons, or longer homeworks, but a focus on what is needed for this kind of test

- a nice quiet 11plus test environment

- none of this stuff about how bad it is for your child

- some sensible maths textbooks and some exercise books to write neatly in

- moving on with the maths syllabus

- reading lots

The last six points apply to the state sector schools which do well too.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now